Author Topic: Diary - Sunday 20th September  (Read 435 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday 20th September
« on: Sunday 20 September 20 23:38 BST (UK) »
Last to write on Saturday so thought I’d try and get in first for Sunday....

Awake pretty early this morning as I could hear the boys chattering... lovely to know they’re in the house and to hear their voices...
As expected the Lego was out in their bedroom and they were creating monster trucks!
Downstairs to get a cuppa in before being bombarded with requests for breakfast...
Everyone downstairs and it’s not even 8am.....
SIL out for his usual 9km run he does when they’re up here... nice for him to be able to do that in the countryside rather than town pavement bashing...
After breakfast the boys were out in the garden checking out grandpas veg patch whilst we sat around chatting and drinking tea...
Thought about going out to Grafham water but the boys were enjoying playing tennis in the garden.. T in tennis team at home and even since coming up here a month ago he’s improved no end.... so had J now seems to be able to concentrate more readily and is getting on well... very competitive boys!
It was great to be outside all the time, weather was warm, not to hot and gentle breeze...
We had a bbq for lunch.... managing to eat virtually all salad stuff I’d got... home grown tomatoes, lettuce, beetroot, courgettes, potatoes, spring onions...
J as the youngest always keen to try anything new and decided he quite liked gherkins with his venison burger!
Dessert was cake made by my daughter.... Mary Berry recipe.. cardamom flavoured cake with white chocolate icing and the top covered with raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.... she had put some candles on but the breeze blew them out before she managed to get from the kitchen to outside.... we decided that blowing them out wasn’t a good idea anyway so we just cut it up and ate it... very tasty it was too...
They left to go home at about 4.15.... sad to see them go and not be able to give them a hug or kiss goodbye... don’t know if they’ll be able to come up next month for OH’s big birthday..... all depends on Boris and his next decree....
Once they’d left, sanitised all the rooms they’d used, stripped the beds, sorted out all the flowers I’ve received into now 3 big vases...
Froze the raspberries J and I had picked that they’d forgotten to take home.... only to discover I’d not closed the freezer door and it was all iced up... as it’s an old fridge/freezer that has to be defrosted that was my next job!.... needed like a hole in the head...
More tidying up in the fridge with left overs...
Got a message to say they’d arrived home.... takes them about two hours... and I hadn’t sat down from the time they’d left till message received...
Just had toast as certainly eaten enough today...Daren’t get on scales in the am...
OH watched US Masters golf... I read papers...
The end of a busy week but an enjoyable one...
Next week I suspect back to earth and what ever new restrictions are coming... oh joy!

Hope others days have been ok too
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday 20th September
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 20 23:52 BST (UK) »
How lovely to have had them there to belatedly celebrate your birthday Caroline, I'm sure all the work before and after was worth it. The little one sounds very adventurous, gherkins indeed! Hope he liked them. Your talk of the lovely warm weather has made me very envious.

My day:

It was raining this morning when I got up, hadn't been expecting that. When it brightened up a bit I thought of going out but then the drizzle started again. Actually it was more of a sea fret. Was it Peter Kay who talked about 'that fine rain that really wets you '? So instead I did some cleaning.  :(

Then, as mentioned in the Saturday diary, I experienced an ocular migraine. I was texting a friend at the time and realised I the jagged light in my eye wasn't caused by looking at the sun as it wasn't out. No headache, only lasted about ten minutes but left me feeling rather nauseous and with a fuzzy head. I did the sensible thing and rested.

Mid afternoon I went for a walk, thought it might clear my head. It wasn't really cold but I was feeling chilly, it was still cloudy. The field was really wet, came back with soggy feet. I think I'll have to buy some waterproof trainers for the autumn and winter, I've been using the ones I (used to) wear to the gym.

Didn't really do anything much until my Tesco delivery arrived at 5pm. When the driver brought the crates to the door she showed me the plastic liners in the crates. I'd had a message yesterday that said that from the 21st  they wouldn't be delivering in carrier bags as they have been during the pandemic but customers could opt to have them at a 40p charge. I don't particularly want lots of bags but neither did I fancy picking every item out of the crates. The driver said they were offering these liners as another option, they were pretty good, just pick up the four corners and carry through to the kitchen. So that's what I'll go for.

Got some pasta sauce out of the freezer for tea but forgot to get the cooked chicken out to have with it so mixed some tuna in instead. Didn't think a glass of wine would be a good idea tonight.

That's all. Hope the new week brings better news for the UK.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 20 02:13 BST (UK) »
As forecast, woke to another beautiful sunny day (sorry, Roobarb) - after breakfast dabbled on the computer for a while and then decided time to enjoy the sun.   Sat out for a while and then popped indoors for a coffee, sandwich and my book which I brought outside.  It was so pleasant, sun not too hot, and read for about an hour.   Then downstairs neighbour came out swiftly followed by couple in F.5 and we had a good old gossip.   The couple are going camping next weekend when the weather is supposed to be 10 degrees colder although hopefully no rain which they had on their last camping trip to Canterbury.  Shame they hadn't gone this weekend rather than next.

Wasn't too hungry so didn't want to eat anything heavy - in the end had some garlic potato wedges, quiche and coleslaw, with a glass of rose wine.  Sometime during the next week hope to get to the hospice depot and drop off the books and jigsaws I have.  Looking at the site online it says there will be a white van and to place donated items in that where they'll be kept for 3 days.   When van is full that's it for the day so I need to go in the morning rather than later in the day when I would normally go.

Usual evening activities but all in all a good weekend spent in the sunshine.   Two more days of this is forecast before it all changes on Wednesday.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 20 08:05 BST (UK) »
Well done Roobarb for managing to keep busy and go for a walk despite rain. Sad for you because the rest of us had lovely weather I think, and were able to enjoy being outside.
Here we took a stroll around the lakes, and were able to sit on the balcony for a while.
Hopefully Budgiegate will be sorted today.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 20 18:34 BST (UK) »
Roobarb I had ocular migraine twice several years ago, but didn’t actually know what it was. When I googled, I felt much better along the lines of ‘ so THAT’S what it was! Very weird and and hope it doesn’t come back.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 September 20 19:33 BST (UK) »
I am sure everyone has heard about my migraine treatment, a banana every day, did the trick for both of us, potassium in bananas but some people can overdose on it, worth a try, helped us or did we just grow out of them?

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 September 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
Candleflame, the first time I had it it was diagnosed as something else, the second time they said no it wasn't that, it was ocular migraine. I thought it was strange as I've never had migraine and I didn't have a headache. I did read up about it afterwards. Funnily enough, I've been taking to a friend tonight and she told me she's had it a number of times. She agreed that it was probably as a result of my anxiety, she has had it when feeling the same way.
Louisa Maud, it's not like a regular migraine but I do like bananas, I have some in the kitchen right now, am happy to use them for medicinal purposes!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales