Author Topic: Graves -- No Date shown  (Read 880 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Graves -- No Date shown
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hullo and thank you to all who've replied.
The attached is from the Wesley Vale Cemetery, Devonport, Tasmania.  Inquiries to the Cemetery have failed to produce any further information re the Deceased.  The death may have occurred about 1939.  There are other graves. of other unrelated families in this Cemetery with omission of dates of death/service and wondered if these interments were financed by Charities or other organisations.  The local Council and some local History groups have been unable to help.
Hope sks can help .
Kind regards
clancam37
Hi,

Can you please expand ... where have you noticed there's no date ... is it some database online, or in a printed book listing graves in a cemetery, or a transcription of headstones ... or perhaps a photo of the grave without a headstone ...

JM

;D

I may be a tad pedantic, but if DA2 is Anglican section at Mersey Vale Cemetery,  where does Wesley Vale fit in - as per above post...  ;D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 08:06 BST (UK) »

George Charles John WILLS was at Nabageena. This is  a news mention of him.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66574617

Likely the woman, Jessie WILLS interred with him is his wife.
 This may be the death notice of Jessie's mother whose name was Mrs SMITH and who was the widow of William SMITH.

(The transcriber for this item seems to have added some interpretive oddments!)

One William SMITH occupies DA2 O 4 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/68336723

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 09:11 BST (UK) »

A search here reveals the will of George Charles John WILLS and confirms his wife as Jessie
https://www.libraries.tas.gov.au/archive-heritage/guides-records/Pages/wills.aspx

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 02:09 BST (UK) »
The tenth Prime Minister of Australia died 7 April 1939.   There is NO date (of burial)  recorded at the online database.  Location L5, Row A, plot 0.  Joseph LYONS.  Mersey Vale   :)

State Funeral.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 02:14 BST (UK) »
Joe Lyons did not die on Tasmania.  Perhaps William HARRIS did not die in Tasmania.

JM

Offline seeking0

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
Since they have a location for his grave, he was most likely listed in a burial register. Most likely a handwritten register that has been transcribed and entered into a database. Depending on how long the burial register is they might be able to locate the original entry. From that they will be able to get the dates of the previous and subsequent dated entries. This will at least give you a date range. It is also possible, if not necessarily likely, that the register contains other info that doesn't go into one of their database fields and could be useful for identification purposes.
Give them a date range to search if you have any idea at all, because they will make it easier for them to find the entry in the register.
Also, ask them who else is buried at the same location (if anyone) and try to establish whether or not they are related.
As to why they have no date recorded - anyone's guess. But it happens more often than you might think.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 September 20 01:41 BST (UK) »
Checked TAHO NS5909/1/1 Register of Burials - Anglican Parish of Devonport and North Down from 1890 to 1958, with particular check circa 1939.

No William Harris entered, he may have had a service from another parish, or be within the restricted time period, or??

M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 September 20 04:47 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look in 'The General Cemetery, Devonport, Tasmania. Tasmanian Family History Society, Devonport Branch, 2001' and found these nearby. Quick scan through book, so may have missed something. The epitaph for the Wills doesn't mention William Harris

DA2 is an Anglican section

DA2 O 1 - Roberts, John and Ann 1955, 1957
DA2 O 2 - Wills, Jessie, 1968
DA2 O 3 - Wills, George Charles John, 1955 (also in DA2 O 3 - Harris, William, no date)
DA2 O 4 - Smith, William ,no date
DA2 O 5 - Pearce, Brian Joseph, 1955
DA2 O 6 - Stephenson, Thomas Alfred, 1955

M

:) :) :)
Ancestry has an index and has images of a database that is referred to in part as TAMIOT 2nd ed. 1999,

Likely the scanned printed publication was originally in strict alpha by surname, alas .. it's not quite so at present.  My ancient rellies advise me that they deciphered the details for
Jessie WILLS : (part of image 1187 of 1226)
Died 19 Nov 1968 aged 83 years and her spouse George Charles John WILLS , Devonport Cemetery, Anglican, DV01/0152  ... and they point out that TAMIOT lists it with that DV01/0152 reference, so it seems to have been assigned different database reference numbers over time.  Perhaps so too for the grave of William HARRIS.  However, my rellies have not yet found anyone at Ancestry's search facilities for surname HARRIS despite knowing there ought to be several.  Image 77 of 190 last entry is HANCOCK, and image 78 of 190, first entry is HARRISON.

But ... Image 76 does have HARRIS, but none as William at Devonport.  They hope Matthew will have a better understanding than me.

JM

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 September 20 07:17 BST (UK) »
The index book, 'The General Cemetery, Devonport, Tasmania. Tasmanian Family History Society, Devonport Branch, 2001', lists its sources as being

1 - Headstone transcriptions
2 - Devonport City Council burial records
3 - Funeral director records plus newspaper notices

William Harris' entry shows (2) Devonport City Council burial records; I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe it will show up on the TAMIOT (Tombstone and Memorial Inscriptions of Tasmania) index. The Wills' entries list a (1) Headstone transcriptions for their source.

Could clancam37 kindly provide some details for William Harris' family?

M