Author Topic: Graves -- No Date shown  (Read 882 times)

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graves -- No Date shown
« on: Monday 21 September 20 06:44 BST (UK) »
Can sks tell me why some Graves do not show any date of death or burial service?
Could it have been a charity death, as the family were always in need of care.

The grave of interest is in Northern Tasmania and probably dates from around 1939.
Kind regards
clancam37

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Graves -- No Date shown
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 September 20 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can you please expand ... where have you noticed there's no date ... is it some database online, or in a printed book listing graves in a cemetery, or a transcription of headstones ... or perhaps a photo of the grave without a headstone ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 20 06:52 BST (UK) »
Would you care to share the details of whom and where?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 20 08:16 BST (UK) »
This may be the then current Tasmanian Law re registering Births and Deaths. It is the 1895 Act.
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/legis/tas/num_act/trobada189559vn9408/trobada189559vn9408.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=burial

There are some mentions of the duty of the 'caretaker of the cemetery' but I cannot find a particular requirement for the caretaker to establish and maintain a 'burial register'.  :'( and I seem to recall that the Tasmanian death certs are sparse on their details.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hullo and thank you to all who've replied.
The attached is from the Wesley Vale Cemetery, Devonport, Tasmania.  Inquiries to the Cemetery have failed to produce any further information re the Deceased.  The death may have occurred about 1939.  There are other graves. of other unrelated families in this Cemetery with omission of dates of death/service and wondered if these interments were financed by Charities or other organisations.  The local Council and some local History groups have been unable to help.
Hope sks can help .
Kind regards
clancam37
Hi,

Can you please expand ... where have you noticed there's no date ... is it some database online, or in a printed book listing graves in a cemetery, or a transcription of headstones ... or perhaps a photo of the grave without a headstone ...

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 02:24 BST (UK) »
Can they provide you with details of who and when for Plot 2 or 4 of Row O,,  DA2?  If so, what original document did they use to check ....  :)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 02:39 BST (UK) »
I read online that Wesley Vale uniting OLD cemetery was in the churchyard, and had Become 'so overgrown that, in the early 1990's, a rotary hoe was  used .... Many graves that did not have any structure around them fell victim to th e rotary hoe ..

On e reader, cannot do live links, but Find  A Grave should be starting place.

Jm

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 05:11 BST (UK) »

You are interested in -

HARRIS William   Location DA2   Row 2  Plot 3

and not interested in the other two names?

".. Inquiries to the Cemetery have failed to produce any further information re the Deceased."

Which deceased are you interested in..............William HARRIS?

"......The death may have occurred about 1939. "

Whose death......William HARRIS?

It is a very ordinary name.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 05:22 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look in 'The General Cemetery, Devonport, Tasmania. Tasmanian Family History Society, Devonport Branch, 2001' and found these nearby. Quick scan through book, so may have missed something. The epitaph for the Wills doesn't mention William Harris

DA2 is an Anglican section

DA2 O 1 - Roberts, John and Ann 1955, 1957
DA2 O 2 - Wills, Jessie, 1968
DA2 O 3 - Wills, George Charles John, 1955 (also in DA2 O 3 - Harris, William, no date)
DA2 O 4 - Smith, William ,no date
DA2 O 5 - Pearce, Brian Joseph, 1955
DA2 O 6 - Stephenson, Thomas Alfred, 1955

M