Author Topic: Ethel Quin  (Read 9739 times)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Quin
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
Until we get the marriage/divorce papers I think we are going around in square circles  ::) 

However I am going to message Derek with the name of a very reasonable researcher who could get the immigration papers from the Cape Town archives for him should he so wish.

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
Are they the papers referred to in your earlier reply?

IMMIGRATION PAPERS. MR. AND MRS. GB BAIRD.                           
STARTING  1956                                                                 
ENDING    1956

I think Mr G B Baird could be either George Boden Baird or George Brunton Baird - both born Scotland 1928.  My earlier reply shows a George B Baird aged 25 departing 1953 for SA - Government servant

Her second husband was Geoffrey Graham Baird - so G G not G B

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
You are so right Carole.  Been at this for too long today, and GB just looked so right at the time! Sorry all  :'(
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 16:01 BST (UK) »
Don't worry - I'm going cross eyed as well ;D
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
Derek

Basically - we have eliminated some things but have not come up with any definitive answers re: Ethel's whereabouts after her marriage to Graham broke down :(

You will have read my reply 34 re SA but I don't know whether there is any hard & fast evidence to support emigration apart from the verbal story.

Whether or not SA happened is debatable but Graham was back in England & remarried by March qtr 1959

It's down now to a search for an English divorce between him & Ethel or a copy of his 1959 marriage cert to determine his marital status at that time

I've just posted a possible remarriage for Ethel - in the same year & quarter as Graham's remarriage so will leave that one with you to think about. - Reply 44 refers

Offline derekjwatson25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
Her daughter says her mothers passenger number on the Braemar Castle Union Line to Cape Town was 417/13 and the ship sailed in 4/11/1953.
She’s trying get any further information she can from a cousin but isn’t holding out much hope.
Many thanks so far for all your help to date but I couldn’t find any birth certs anywhere including South Africa as she may have been from there hence the going back alone in 1953 . With a surname like Quin it’s probably of Irish origin ? I thought as it was an unusual spelling it would be an easy trace !

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 17:22 BST (UK) »

We think Ethel travelled alone to Cape Town ?

In your first post you mention Ethel travelling to South Africa aboard the Braemar Castle  in November 1953. The only Bairds I can see on this voyage are Mr R and Mrs M Baird travelling together and Mrs E Baird , 25 , travelling with two female children , aged 8 and 5 , from an address in Peterhead ( 10 Cairncatlo Road ). I've not named  the  children as they may well still be living.

I note that the Mrs E Baird and the 2 children show a final intended Country of Permanent Residence as South Rhodesia.  Don't know if that makes any difference with the search in Africa

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
Evlyne Baird, born in England, died in Zimbabwe in 1968.  Zimbabwe was Southern Rhodesia.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 17:47 BST (UK) »
Her daughter says her mothers passenger number on the Braemar Castle Union Line to Cape Town was 417/13 and the ship sailed in 4/11/1953.
She’s trying get any further information she can from a cousin but isn’t holding out much hope.
Many thanks so far for all your help to date but I couldn’t find any birth certs anywhere including South Africa as she may have been from there hence the going back alone in 1953 . With a surname like Quin it’s probably of Irish origin ? I thought as it was an unusual spelling it would be an easy trace !

Does the daughter have proof of the passenger number?  If so, please post it here.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods