Author Topic: An unexpected find!  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
An unexpected find!
« on: Monday 21 September 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
I recently took out a short term ancestry subscription (I only intend to have it for a month or 2) to try to chip away at some of the brick walls in my research.
So, there I was looking at someone's public member tree which included my ggg grandfather - I am trying to find out where he was born, parents etc - and thought I would check that this tree tallied with mine. I got down to my father, mother and then me.
Apparently I died in 1994.
I have since sent a message to the tree's owner asking for resurrection!
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: An unexpected find!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 September 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
Don’t expect them to do anything or even oblige you with a reply!

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 20 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ive found myself on 2 trees alive and well. For some reason neither had my sister on there. The first tree I found I was speaking to the guy about something else. As the people below grandad was listed as private, I asked who he has listed as it was either dad and me or my uncle and cousin. He went into detail about dad and then about me. Had to laugh at the end because he gave my name and birth date and then said but of course that's you.

Regards

Jon

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 05:52 BST (UK) »
I recently took out a short term ancestry subscription (I only intend to have it for a month or 2) to try to chip away at some of the brick walls in my research.
So, there I was looking at someone's public member tree which included my ggg grandfather - I am trying to find out where he was born, parents etc - and thought I would check that this tree tallied with mine. I got down to my father, mother and then me.
Jackie

Similar happened to me.  I am still dead on their tree, they said that I did not provide enough evidence to prove that I am still alive.  I generally just ignore errors in the trees of others unless they contact and ask me but this did upset me.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 12:13 BST (UK) »
Jackie

Similar happened to me.  I am still dead on their tree, they said that I did not provide enough evidence to prove that I am still alive.  I generally just ignore errors in the trees of others unless they contact and ask me but this did upset me.

So, Pharma, they suspected that your communication pointing out you were still living was a scam.

And believing you might have put their bank account at risk, since making you LIVING on the tree would have given you access to all their personal details to then pretend to be them and steal all their money?

Rather than be upset (as you are very much in the living world, thank goodness), you should have just sighed deeply.  It's their loss, not yours.  And their totally inaccurate tree, not yours.
If it'd been me I'd have asked THEM to prove you were dead by producing the death ref and scanned certificate.  Idiots.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
Yikes!
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
Pharma, just suggest you might HAUNT them if they don't correct their silly errors! Whhooooohooo!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
Thank you for your responses. I think the threat of haunting sounds very interesting but I have just been informed that I have been resurrected.
I must admit that I wasn't expecting any response so I count that as a bonus.
Very much alive, Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 October 20 08:07 BST (UK) »
In reply to the op

It seems that some people may put too much faith that the software on Ancestry can churn out.
I have an Ancestry tree that I am well aware contains errors but do not know to rectify them.

Apparently, I have a great uncle that died at Taplow, Saskatchewan.
There was I living under the misapprehension that it was a village near Maidenhead.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise