Author Topic: John William Newman/Edmund Newman c1820s  (Read 1491 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John William Newman/Edmund Newman c1820s
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Ann Newman of Bow, was buried at St Mary Stratford Bow, Tower Hamlets.

In 1841 there is a census for the District Grove Hall Establishment, Stratford Le Bow,
Middlesex

I have browsed the 4 pages Ann is not there and no trace elsewhere?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Bitzer1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Colin for looking.  Ann Newman died of consumption in the Poplar Union (at the workhouse infirmary I assume) on 27 May 1842.  I am sure the 5 June 1842 burial you found is hers. Both records give her age as 42.

I have also tried searching for her children (John, Ann, Edmund and William) in the 1841 census, but I have not found any of them.  Born in 1822, John may have been in the army (28th Regiment of Foot) by then.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 12:09 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry you can browse the 1841 census, however the parishes of All Saints and Poplar and St Leonards are all listed together and there is only one Enumeration District, it is headed  District East and West India Docks  there is only one page.
My guess is that the census is missing but it is not listed as such?

William Newman 22 Nov 1830   The marriage you have looks possible, too many others to be sure.

Edmund Newman   25 May 1828   Married  25 Dec 1856 St John of Jerusalem, South HackneyJane Theresa Wilkinson – fathers noted

This maybe Ann Newman in 1851, a Cook, noted as born 1827 London, England
Residence Allhallows Barking Middlesex. No clear marriage.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Bitzer1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Colin.  I see what you mean about the single page in the 1841 census. 

The Ann Newman you found in the 1851 census looks like a good possibility, and she is, of course, the right age.  Based on that, I have eliminated a few possible marriages but not identified the right one, given her common name.

As you said in an earlier post, Edmund Newman baptised 25 May 1828 and married 25 Dec 1856 at St John of Jerusalem, South Hackney to Jane Theresa Wilkinson is the strongest link because of the named father Edmund Newman, waterman, although the father is not listed as deceased.  Edmund Newman seems to have been a rare name in London/Middlesex/Essex at this time, which also makes the connection likely.

Unfortunately, I don't have Private John (William) Newman 2217's enlistment papers in the 28th Regiment of Foot if they still exist, which might have helped.     

Offline Bitzer1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 January 21 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I have obtained the waterman apprenticeship records of Edmund Newman (1794-1833) and his brother Arthur Joseph Newman (1789-1852), the sons of John and Mary Newman.  They were both apprenticed to James Newman: Arthur Joseph was apprenticed in Blackwall on 25 April 1804; and Edmond (Edmund) was apprenticed in Poplar on 2 Nov 1809.  They were both made free on 9 December 1824, suggesting that James Newman had died during 1824, or at least between 1809 and 1824. 

It seems that James Newman was apprenticed on 16 March 1780 in Wapping, suggesting a birth around 1765, and made free on  29 Nov 1787.

I would appreciate any help in tracing James Newman, who I assume was a relative, and also John and Mary Newman as I have no luck with any of them.

John and Mary Newman probably married during or before 1782 based on the baptisms of their children:

John Newman baptism 9 June 1782 West Ham All Saints Essex

Mary Ann Newman baptism 1 Aug 1784 West Ham All Saints Essex

John Newman baptism 15 Oct 1786 West Ham All Saints Essex

Arthur Joseph Newman baptism 3 Feb 1789 West Ham All Saints Essex.  Married Sarah Smith.

Susanh Newman baptism 28 Nov 1790 West Ham All Saints Essex

Sarah Newman 2 Sept 1792 baptism West Ham All Saints Essex

Edmond (Edmund) Newman baptism 25 Dec 1794 West Ham All Saints Essex

Thomas Newman baptism 3 Sep 1797 West Ham All Saints Essex.  Married Sophia Amelia Outram.