Author Topic: Waiting for the red lights to turn green  (Read 1938 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waiting for the red lights to turn green
« on: Tuesday 22 September 20 09:05 BST (UK) »
Good morning, like so many other rootschatters I enjoy reading new requests and trying to help BUT I do not have a Mercedes and always at the back of the grid in getting in a reply before those who are at the front and can touch type have been there , read the book and on the next lap. I only hope I never get on Who wants to be a Millionaire with some of you as you guys will have typed in your answers and be winnings thousands😊😊
John

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting for the red lights to turn green
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
John, just remember the fable of the tortoise and the hare.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
Well, you were first this time. Well done.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning, like so many other rootschatters I enjoy reading new requests and trying to help BUT I do not have a Mercedes and always at the back of the grid in getting in a reply before those who are at the front and can touch type have been there , read the book and on the next lap. I only hope I never get on Who wants to be a Millionaire with some of you as you guys will have typed in your answers and be winnings thousands😊😊
John

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 12:09 BST (UK) »
On a very few occasions I think I might be able to help and am able to reply ahead of other people.

Then I find that my reply was either wrong, or dealt with a less helpful part of the query, and others more expert than myself come in and solve the issue (or at least add miles more helpful suggestions) before I've stopped kicking myself.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
It happens to us all. I cant touch type either.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 16:09 BST (UK) »
As Rena Comments

"like so many other Rootschatters I too enjoy reading new requests" but a mistake some of us make is posting at the wrong time. Should I be making an enquiry about someone who lived on the Falkland Islands then (as we all know)  they are GMT plus 3 hours. Hong Kong ?  Have to look it up. Post when they are up and about not us, even if we have to post at our midnight. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 16:19 BST (UK) »
As Rena Comments

"like so many other Rootschatters I too enjoy reading new requests" but a mistake some of us make is posting at the wrong time.

I would say that a mistake some make is posting a query then logging off so that they are not able to answer any questions that may arise from lack of information in initial post.  Time of day does not matter as there are people on here with access to a wealth of resources 24/7  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 17:10 BST (UK) »
... er... who says the first response is always the finest? Keep on at it!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)