Author Topic: Waiting for the red lights to turn green  (Read 1936 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting for the red lights to turn green
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
I'm pulling into the pits to fuel up for the evening, change tyres (trousers off, comfy pants on).

John

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 September 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Go for it John :) ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 September 20 10:41 BST (UK) »
John, perhaps, some kind soul should pm you with their query first before posting on the main board.  Then if you can help, this might give you time to prepare your answer and rev up to get it on there in a nanosecond once the post does go on.  ;D I can imagine a lot of people would wonder how you managed this in such a speed of lightning! :o
I know where you are coming from .. I am often pipped to the post as well. ;)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 September 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
That's a really good idea by River Tyne Lass.

You will have to put this as a heading in 'How to Use Rootschat' -- Send a Private Message to John Hood first.

It's supposed to be the taking part and not the winning which counts BUT -- like you, John, I would like to win and be first past the post (just sometimes!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 September 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
I quite agree it’s the taking part that counts. But if we are honest it’s b***** annoying sometimes when you do find something useful and you go to reply and the red box appears. Have a good evening all.
John

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 September 20 13:02 BST (UK) »
We all try to help when we can, John. Some have knowledge on a particular subject, some know their way around certain records.
All in all, it's the thought that counts.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 September 20 14:02 BST (UK) »
I am in the category of the "slowest finger on the buzzer" too, I spend time writing all the details from a census return, only to find that when I come to post it, someone beat me too it posting the barest of details, having bagged "the fastest finger on the buzzer" slot, they then go back and fill the details  ::) ;D ;D
I do learn a lot from the many replies though.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 September 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
On a very few occasions I think I might be able to help and am able to reply ahead of other people.

Then I find that my reply was either wrong, or dealt with a less helpful part of the query, and others more expert than myself come in and solve the issue (or at least add miles more helpful suggestions) before I've stopped kicking myself.
I can't count how many times I've done that - I might have worn out the 'Embarrassed'' emoji.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 September 20 14:21 BST (UK) »
On a very few occasions I think I might be able to help and am able to reply ahead of other people.

Then I find that my reply was either wrong, or dealt with a less helpful part of the query, and others more expert than myself come in and solve the issue (or at least add miles more helpful suggestions) before I've stopped kicking myself.
I can't count how many times I've done that - I might have worn out the 'Embarrassed'' emoji.

But when I DO post something helpful, or find something useful - I occasionally do! - I am all the more excited!!! :D :D

ADDED:
And who are these people who can type out census listings more quickly than I can copy and paste them and make the necessary adjustments to avoid breaching copyright???
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex