Author Topic: Information on Cairndhu House, Larne  (Read 380 times)

Offline AbandonedNi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information on Cairndhu House, Larne
« on: Tuesday 22 September 20 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for some information on Cairndhu house in Larne Co Antrim, specifically when it was a war supply depot during WW2.   There is some information online however it's quite light.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Cairndhu House, Larne
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 01:04 BST (UK) »
I have struggled in vain to find anything in old newspapers to corroborate that Cairndhu House was a war hospital supply depot, to the extent that I'm starting to question if it is one of these things that someone has incorrectly stated on the internet and others over time have simply picked up as gospel and restated.

Newspapers of the 1940s confirm that Lady Dixon was president of the Larne War Hospital Supply Depot, however there is one reference to Lady Dixon inviting 'an almost full contingent of the workers at the Larne War Hospital Supply Depot ... to visit Cairndhu and partake of her hospitality'.  My question is, why would they need to 'visit' Cairndhu if that house was the Supply Depot?

There is however a 1946 reference to a Larne house called Clogrennan being 'used during the war as the headquarters of the local War Hospital Supply Depot', clippings in the following 'invermuseum' website show the house and describe it as 'THE LARNE RESIDENCE OF THE MAYOR AND MAYORESS, SIR THOMAS AND LADY DIXON, WHICH HAS BEEN HANDED OVER TO THE BOROUGH AS A WAR HOSPITAL SUPPLY DEPOT':

http://invermuseum.com/exhibits/temporary-exhibit/ (I had to increase my screen size to 200% to read the clipping captions)

Clogrennan still exists in Andrew Avenue, Larne, and is a Northern Health and Social Care Trust property:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pw9/

I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm wondering if the internet references about Cairndhu House are based on a confusion? 

Offline AbandonedNi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Cairndhu House, Larne
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffy,

You could be quite correct.  I have found information regarding the 3rd Rumbeke Infantry brigade from Belgium using it as a training ground but, nothing else to back up the claims of a war supply depot as you say.

Larne Library has nothing on file either and have asked heritage to see if they can find anything more.

I'll keep you posted on my journey and if anything transpires! :)