Author Topic: Edward REES Llangurig parish clerk 18th century  (Read 1056 times)

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward REES Llangurig parish clerk 18th century
« on: Tuesday 22 September 20 17:07 BST (UK) »
On a blank page at the back of the Parish Register, Edward Rees, Parish Clerk, Llangurig wrote his signature, the words “in his hand” and “1768”, as well as some subtractions of dates, presumably to determine ages at death for the records.  I saw this during a visit to the archives in Llandrindod Wells some time ago.

I would appreciate any help in working out whether he is a direct ancestor of the following Edward Reeses in my family who were parish clerks.

Firstly Edward Rees born abt 1771 - 1847.  I am wondering whether this is the son of the 1768 Parish Clerk.  In 1793, he married Jemima Owens (1774 - 1842). 

And secondly their son, Edward Rees (1794 - 1861) who was a schoolmaster and parish clerk in Llangurig.

I have been unable to find a baptism record for an Edward Rees around 1771 - nor one obviously that could be that of the 1768 parish clerk.  I am assuming they were all born in Llangurig parish given their appointments as parish clerks.

I note there are baptism records for Edward Reeses in 1739 and 1744 in Llangurig on Family Search but no other details are recorded on line.  Maybe there is nothing else on the original record either.

What also puzzles me is that these ancestors of mine could read and write.

The above 2 Edward Reeses, parish clerks, in my family were not wealthy it seems.  I cannot find wills for them. So I do wonder how literacy skills came into the family in the first place, particularly given the rural area.  Any thoughts on that Rootschatters?

Many thanks

Woodmancote:  Hobbs; Davison
Bisley:  Fisher
Eastcombe:  Winstone
Chalford:  Lambert
Newent:  Bowkett
Llangurig: Owen; Jones
Llangurig & Bedlinog: Rees
Llanonn: Williams
Charfield:  Fowler; Selman
Olveston:  Fisher
Batheaston: Fisher
Andover, Hurstbourne, Woodcutt, Shinfield: Farmer & Tanner
Alresford: Sprangle; Hack
Martletwy & Llangwig:  Davies

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Edward REES Llangurig parish clerk 18th century
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
I am assuming they were all born in Llangurig parish given their appointments as parish clerks.

Don't assume anything.

Does the approximate birth year of Edward (c1771) come from the 1841 census?  If so, expect a rounding variance of up to five years.

It is equally possible that the 1768 Edward REES was born, married, and had a son Edward elsewhere (in the county?) and moved to Llangurig in or shortly before 1768.  He might even have arrived to take up a schoolmaster post and doubled as parish clerk. 

I don't know the historical population of Llangurig parish, but according to Wiki the population of the village in 2011 was only 723.  Schoolteachers in small villages were generally poorly paid.  Their level of education varied, but it would be unlikely for a village schoolmaster to have had either a public school or university education, or to come from a family with much money.  He would not be an attractive match for an heiress.

My suggestion would be to consider:
1) Did Edward (1768) REES have any children baptised locally?
2) Is there a burial entry for a wife or widow of Edward (1768) REES?
3) Are there any burials for young children of Edward (1768) REES?

If a wife can be identified this could help trace a marriage, and if there was an Edward son of Edward baptised in the same parish as the marriage then the trail could heat up.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward REES Llangurig parish clerk 18th century
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions Philip.

Edward Rees 1794 - 1861 was the only schoolmaster and parish clerk I know of in my family.  He is mentioned in the Blue Book too which is interesting.  And there was a family notice in the newspaper after his death.

His father, Edward Rees abt 1771 - 1847 was "just" a parish clerk and I have assumed his d.o.b. from his gravestone at Llangurig Church.  When he married Jemima Owen, they were both of this parish.  While I appreciate that this may not mean they were born there, there are so many Edward Reeses in the area, it is impossible to guess which - if any one called Edward - was his father.  I can't find a baptism for Jemima either.

And it is that link which I am missing....to connect him (possibly) to the Edward Rees practising his signature in 1768!

And....I can't help but wonder how he ever had the opportunity to learn to read and write and do sums!!
Woodmancote:  Hobbs; Davison
Bisley:  Fisher
Eastcombe:  Winstone
Chalford:  Lambert
Newent:  Bowkett
Llangurig: Owen; Jones
Llangurig & Bedlinog: Rees
Llanonn: Williams
Charfield:  Fowler; Selman
Olveston:  Fisher
Batheaston: Fisher
Andover, Hurstbourne, Woodcutt, Shinfield: Farmer & Tanner