Author Topic: Understanding abbreviations related to Rank in old Navy records from WWII.  (Read 409 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding abbreviations related to Rank in old Navy records from WWII.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
WWII the RN was still the lead Navy with authority over the RAN and perhaps the other dominions Navys too.   ;D   ;D

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding abbreviations related to Rank in old Navy records from WWII.
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 00:17 BST (UK) »
Sub Lieutenant makes a lot of sense, Haha don't know how I couldn't see it before. Thanks.

Given he was British I find RAN really odd to be by his name, if it is Royal Australian Navy. Is there anything else it might be?

Thank you again for your responses.

British ... well,  :) umm .... Australia was a British dominion  ... and it was not until 1949 that the concept of Australian citizenship  being different from being British actually commenced.  It was not until 1986 that the legal separation was complete, and the United Kingdom became a foreign power in respect of Australia.   

Add

So for example, men seeking to join the Australian Navy in WWII needed to be British subjects either natural born or by naturalisation.  They swore allegiance to George VI, his heirs and successors.  :)  Same for the Australian Imperial Force, and the Royal Australian Air Force.  Likely similar for New Zealand, Canada and others within the realm of the British Empire.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.