Author Topic: German POW's in Lincolnshire  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Bos2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German POW's in Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I found this link with photographs of the Pingley POW Camp in Lincolnshire in WWII:   https://derelictex.wordpress.com/2007/07/07/pingley-camp/

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I think the hard feelings against them lasted a long time for certain people. Through work I knew one who had come from East Germany, a very nice man who decided to stay in this country because he "didn`t want to live under the Russians", his word. His neiighbour didn`t like him at all, but he did a lot of work for the community.

The man I was talking about was in this particular camp. It`s a long way from the area you`re talking about, but that`s not to say it`s not the one. It has been developed now.

There`sa list of POW camps on wikipedia, but it`s uncomplete, as I know there was another camp in North Lincolnshire although that one housed Italian pows.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Just wondered if there are any records of German prisoners of war in Lincolnshire.....looking for info. on one chap in particular.....Karl F Maisenberger married Audrey Ayto, in 1948 at Boston Lincolnshire...I know that a lot of these men never returned home to Germany, after WW2 although this bloke probably did, he and Audrey had a daughter born in Munich in 1953, before eventually moving to The USA at some point......

Hi. I don't know if maybe their marriage certificate would have given Karls occupation or address as something to do with having been a prisoner of war? Probably he would have moved on by then.

There were many camps for prisoners of war in Lincolnshire, as they helped with land work. I don't know much about it personally but I have seen people message on social media and reminisce about them and different locations camps were at.  If you wanted to ask your question to a wider audience I'd suggest Facebook (if you use it) and joining groups about local history. You could try 'Boston Memories - Lincolnshire UK' group, and there is likely to be similar groups for Spalding (South Lincolnshire).

I don't think there will be any records available of the prisoners of war as not enough time has past.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bos2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 November 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I see - thank you for the clarification. I wasn't aware how many camps there were, so this was a stab in the dark...

I remember being told by the Maisenbergers that the English treated the German prisoners more humanely than they would have expected, and that The Salvation Army gave better provisions and also were kinder, in Karl's experience, than was the Red Cross. They always put money in the Salvation Army buckets during Christmas, because of that...