Author Topic: John Leck Walton  (Read 323 times)

Offline Wheatiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Leck Walton
« on: Wednesday 23 September 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
John Leck Walton 1857-1914
My Great Grandfather lived at 4 Filey Parade Gillett Street Hull on 7th October 1899 he attacked his wife Mildred with a poker he was remanded for 8 days. On 30th December he attacked Mildred again and the Lodger Ben Rhodes he was charged and committed for trial at the sessions. I found all this in the Hull Daily Mail but I can't find out anymore. In 1912 he was in Hull City Asylum where he died in 1914. I paid to check it was really him and at some point before the Asylum he was in the Workhouse. Did he go to Prison? how can I find out? thank you for reading.

Moderator Comment: Copyright images removed. See: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Leck Walton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for him on the 1901/1911 census? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
1901 for Mildred down as wife but no John. 

However children aged 3 - 6 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 12 - 15 which indicates John was out and about. 

At least one more child born after that. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Wheatiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
In 1901 John Leck is in Aldershot as he was in the Army, I have his Army records and he was in the Boer War I can't find him in 1911 but suspect he was in Hull workhouse. Mildred lived with her Daughter in 1901 and in 1911 had moved to Luddendenfoot where she met a James Rock and married him after John Leck had died. I would love to know where he really was in between 1901 and July 1912 when he was admitted to Hull City Asylum and where he died in 1914, number 65417.

Offline Wheatiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 20 17:14 BST (UK) »
Mildred Rhodes Walton was born in 1899 and was Ben Rhodes Daughter (I thought for years she was Rhodes after the Boer War until I read the news article) in 1901 I've found Ben Rhodes as a lodger with a 1 yr Daughter Mildred (must be him) Mildred Walton has 2 more Children by James Rocks before they were married Elizabeth Rocks Walton 1902- 1926 and Hilda Rocks Walton 1904-1904