Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 23rd September  (Read 954 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 23rd September
« on: Wednesday 23 September 20 23:05 BST (UK) »
Had another of those nights when I couldn't get to sleep, I think it was about 2.30 am when I finally nodded off. Woke to a grey, wet and chilly day and it stayed that way all day. Put the bolognese ingredients in the slow cooker and turned it on, did some ironing. Too wet to go for a walk.

My friend A picked me up to go for lunch at the pub. It was lovely to meet up, have a chat and let someone else do the cooking. There weren't a lot of people in there but as before, everything was done properly.

Back home, had a couple of parcels due today, was pleased they hadn't arrived while I was out, makes things easier. Didn't do much at all, was giving myself a day off! Still chucking it down, this was one of the very few days in the last six months that I didn't go for a walk. It had changed from summer to winter overnight.

Just had a sandwich later, too full after lunch for anything else.

That's it for today. How was your day.?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 23rd September
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - Yes, wet and dreary here most of the day .... although a little ray of sunshine about 3pm but storm clouds gathered and it chucked it down.... autumn definitely although outside temp 18C... glad you enjoyed your lunch out, change of scenery is always pleasing..... sometimes good not to do much...

Woke to grey, wet day.... not much to get up for so didn’t! Stayed in bed and read.... late breakfast.... had some paperwork to do... Booked a c n c Waitrose slot for Monday... think I may need fresh bits before then though...
Yesterday I’d set myself three tasks for today.... failed on the first really didn’t feel like doing any yogalates... instead I did the second task....the ironing I watched a programme all about the pyramids in Nubia... very interesting... early archaeologists had a great deal to answer for there sadly...
Had a late lunch as ironing seem to take a long time to do... OH trying to get on with his sandy, pyramid desert scene jigsaw....
Altered pair of trousers I bought and not really worn as far to big...
Got patterns sorted for 🌈 scrubs and laid fabric out on the landing ... really like to use dining table but there’s a jigsaw on it! Crawled around putting pattern pieces on... good job I do exercises every day otherwise never get up and down!
OH offered to cook dinner... only spaghetti but he makes a good one... bless him he’s cleared the table too so at least I can do it there now...
Late dinner following on everything else late today...
Watched couple of episodes of The Crown....

That’s it for today.... hope others have had a more exciting one!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 20 00:25 BST (UK) »
Got on well with bathroom, colour is much better but only one coat as yet .
It is pale but better than too dark.
Yippee, Spitting Image is coming back, well with characters like Donald Trump,  too good to miss!
Had a phone call from a dog walking friend ,on for ages but she likes a glascif wine or three in the evening so things got blurred,slurred and downright ridiculous.
No housework done today.
Added to my Tesco list ,will come 26th between 8&9 evening.
My Dad’s Birthday tomorrow,
He died in 1974.
I was living in Belgium .
The work was supposed to be two years but my husband discovered so much that needed  sorting out we were there twelve.
I would not have left my Dad so long ,on the other hand we were a family
and I did not want my husband and the boys’ Daddy to be a weekend
visitor. So we went as a family .
He was alone for 17  years ,after Mum died ,twelve of those I was abroad.
I am riddled with guilt , we did ask him to come and live with us but he declined.
I usually have flowers in the house, by his photograph for his birthday,but no chance this year,There are some Rudbekia , I can cut ,a few sweet peas and the odd rose or two.
Well tidy the kitchen and bathroom Visit and bed .
Son usually comes with fresh shopping on Thursdays but I am well stocked up and thought new restrictions would mean he could not come so it is all on my Tesco list.
Means I won’t see him but he does not come in and if it is raining ,not very pleasant .
Well bed calls.
Goodnight ,take care and “speak “to you tomorrow.
Viktoria.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 20 01:44 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to say hello - weather changed as others have said and have been confined to barracks for a couple of days.   Nothing to report - been nowhere and not really done anything of note.   I am meeting up with friends for lunch on Saturday so something to look forward to.

Think I've missed posting for a day or two but when nothing is happening there's nothing really to say.

Take care.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 20 07:13 BST (UK) »
Viktoria- good to hear your bathroom painting is coming along and a more pleasing shade of yellow!
My father too died in 1974 only 6 months after we married, he had been very ill at the time but had hidden it well... I never got to say goodbye to him as we didn’t leave nearby and could only visit at the W/end... we’d arrive late on Friday night after working all week and go to see him ( in hospital) on Saturday but we never got there as he died late that Friday night....as an only child I was devastated...
I’m sure he watched over me that year as I felt his presence and felt quite comforted ... then one day I realised I didn’t feel it any longer so he must have thought I was ok....
Sorry for being morbid but reading your post just brought it back to me...
I’m sure the flowers picked from your garden will look just as lovely by his photo...
Sorry you don’t get to see your son... people are allowed inside homes now though... or is your area under tighter restrictions?

Annette - glad to see your post as I’d been wondering if all was ok with you.... now the weather is on the turn it’s not so easy to be busy outside! Hope you enjoy lunch out on Saturday..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 20 08:00 BST (UK) »
So many sad memories this morning.
My father died when I was young. I was away, not knowing he was in hospital having heart surgery.
Got a telegram sent by a family friend to my OH; couldn't make head or tail of it because my brain shut down.
Grim times for me.
BUT Please don't feel guilty anymore Viktoria. You say you are "riddled with guilt , we did ask him to come and live with us but he declined."
You made the offer. He declined.
And even if that wasn't so, guilt at this distance only eats you up. :'(
I had a fascinating morning yesterday trying to buy the correct colour paint for the garage door.
Left me a bit rung out for anything else!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 September 20 08:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry to read you feel 'riddled with guilt' Viktoria.  I will echo what Mowsehowse has already said in saying try not to feel this way.  It might very well have been that your Dad preferred his independence.  Lots of elderly people do.  If he had wanted to he could have taken up on your offer.  He knew he had a choice and that you would have welcomed him if that was what he wanted.  :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 September 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thankyou everyone,he was a quiet man .
When we were evacuated,split up, my sister and I ,she screamed and carried on dreadfully when Mum had to go back to Manchester after a visit.
Dad cane less frequently as he was working at Trafford Park Avro’s .
The Rolls Royce Merlin engines for Lancasters.
My sister monopolised Mum ,so when both came it was Dad I saw most.We children were with different people .
It must have been hard for Mum that I did not cry and carry on ,she was not a child psychologist and must have thought I had forgotten her.
We never really re connected ,unlike my sister.
I thought more of Dad than my sister who was rather disdainful of him.
But he had throat cancer in 1959, lost his voice box so speech was difficult .
We really thought we would only be away two years,offered him our house so
he could leave the shop he had ,( it was closed during the war ) for the two years then we would look for a bigger house and he could live with us.
We asked him to come to us in Belgium ,but the  visits and treatment at
Christie’s  would have cost the Earth ,assuming he could have got health insurance at all.
No NHS in Belgium.
So good reasons for him to stay in England .
He died 1974 and we returned 1976.
Quite a lot of visits both ways but not the same is it.
We were travelling to England on Friday. For Easter.
Sister phoned Sunday to say he had been rushed in to Christie’s.
I spoke with the staff and they said he had about six months to live.
That was Monday.
But he died on the following day.A heart attack, which given other things was merciful.
My OH had been on a business trip to Manchester the week before and had visited Dad, tried to persuade him to go to Belgium with my husband ,stay and return with us for our Easter visit ,but he had appointments at  Christie’s
and did not want to miss them.
So there we are.
But had I known we would be away for twelve years ,well unless he had joined us or I had stayed in England ,but I could not envisage the little boys seeing their Daddy only at weekends and for him to be driving up or on the train for a good part of the tine was ridiculous ,not to mention our relationship. The cost etc, his firm were not known as generous .
As I remember it they were Scrooge,Scrooge and Tight.Ltd.
But sad and I do have regrets.
So his photograph, in WW1 uniform is here and some flowers.
His ashes scattered at Hill 60, a very strategic site in the battles of Ypres.
Signing off now ,a quick tidy up of things generally and back to the bathroom.
There was a film. “ Back   to Bataan”.Ww2,  The  Americans in the Far East,
and might have been McArthur who said “ We will be back”.
After a withdrawal from a fierce engagement with the Japanese.
Well that is what I said to the bathroom late last night!
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 September 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
A very sad story Viktoria, and sad is expected.
And keeping flowers by his photo is lovely.
But guilt is soul destroying, and not worth tearing yourself apart, as that can be the only outcome.  :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.