Author Topic: 1911 census  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1911 census
« on: Thursday 24 September 20 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
           have come across a brick wall could anyone find Matthew Wignall born 1886 in Preston Lancashire in the 1911 census, he died in Flanders in 1918  must warn you that there was two Matthew's born in the same year but my one had a mother Margaret born 1849 died 1903 and father Matthew born 1848 died 1907 . My thinking is he must have been away in the army but would he still be in the census?
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 20 12:32 BST (UK) »
There is a Matthew Wignall born in Preston with father Matthew and mother Margaret who enlisted in the Army in 1902 - he overstated his age seemingly - declaring himself as 18! Address of parents 19 Heatley St Preston.

Records are on Find My Past.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
There is a 'Mark' not Matthew who is in the overseas military in 1911 similar age born Preston, I wonder if that is him.  I can't see a birth that matches on freebmd or any mention on census other than 1911, perhaps someone else can see him.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
I have found the one you have found, Rosie. If it is the same person he has changed Regiments.

In 1902 Matthew joined what looks like 3rd Battalion Royal Lancs.

As we aren't supposed to show 1911 details - all I can say is that this is a different Regiment.

I cannot see any attestation papers for a Mark Wignall born in Preston though (although that doesn't mean there aren't any). Having said that - I can't see a birth in Preston for a Mark Wignall around the mid 1880s either.

You would think - on a balance of probability - it's the same chap.
Places of interest;

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
FS have the 1911 for Mark
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7VH-W1D
Mark Wignall
Trimulgherry, Andhra Pradesh, India
Overseas Military
Marital Status:   Single
Institution:2ND BATTALION THE KINGS SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY
Birthplace:Preston, Lancashire
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:35 BST (UK) »
In addition to the Matthew that 'Pennines' has quoted, there is another Matthew Wignall that has service papers on Find My Past. This one enlisted on 27/2/1908 (should read 27/2/1903 - incorrectly transcribed on FindMyPast) giving his age as 18 years 3 months. His residence is given as 3 Brown Square, Preston. His parents are recorded as Matthew and Margaret. His height is almost the same on both records, the colour of his eyes and hair are exactly the same on both records.

It is possible that his parents tracked him down when he enlisted in 1902 and as he had joined without their permission he would have been returned to his parents.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
           have come across a brick wall could anyone find Matthew Wignall born 1886 in Preston Lancashire in the 1911 census, he died in Flanders in 1918  must warn you that there was two Matthew's born in the same year but my one had a mother Margaret born 1849 died 1903 and father Matthew born 1848 died 1907 . My thinking is he must have been away in the army but would he still be in the census?

Oddly, the only Matthew Wignall I can see on the CWGC site who died in 1918, is shown as being 18 years old?
Matthew Wignall Pte, 2nd/8th Battalion The Kings (Liverpool Regiment) Service no 90989.

Boo

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:51 BST (UK) »
The Matthew Wignall that 'Boo' mentions (KIA 1918) is not the Matthew that 'Kerrill' is looking for. The pension records for Matthew Wignall that was killed in 1918 shows that the mother of that soldier was Mary Ellen Wignall.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
On the Commonwealth War Graves Site - the Wignall possibly shown as Mark in 1911 was killed in 1914 - Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.

That is the same Regiment shown for 'Mark' in 1911.

(It would be boring if it went smoothly!)
Places of interest;