Author Topic: 1911 census  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 September 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
The site is Preston war dead and is quite good - but Matthew isn't on it sadly - good site for anyone with someone from Preston who died in First World War - there are photos of some of the men! Doesn't help with this query I'm afraid.

Worth bearing in mind for the future.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 September 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
Margaret his sister did marry James Morrison and they lived at 110 Bedford street, so thinking Boo was spot on.

if you are sure about that then there is an entry in the register of soldiers effects on ancestry (if you don't have access then check your local library website, many are allowing remote access to ancestry/find my past from home at the moment - the library site will give details of how)

His sole legatee was a Miss Margaret Walmsley. ? maybe a fiancee? and she received his pay/war gratuity
There is also a (on Fold 3) a pension index card which gives her address as 29 Lawson St.She appears to have received a dependant's pension.

and for the princely sum of £1.50 and maybe a bit of a wait for it to arrive, you can order a copy of his 'soldiers will' from  https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/ it may not tell you much about her, but at least is quite cheap to find out :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 September 20 15:53 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm (not that I don't believe you Kerrill, I just like things to add up properly or they bug me)

James Henry Morrison and his wife Margaret (nee Wignall) were recorded on the 1929 and 1930 electoral registers at 110 Bedford St., Preston

in 1911 they were at Brow Square, Preston
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X49C-SQP

and that service record for Pte Matthew Wignall   that AllanUK found on Find My Past
which shows he transferred to the Shropshire Light Infantry has his address at enlistment as 3 Brow's Square Preston.

So, I'd say that the 1911 census rosie99 found on Family Search for 'Mark' Wignall, born c 1885, Preston and on military service in India is really quite likely to be your man.

Boo

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 September 20 16:41 BST (UK) »
Yes you are spot on Boo, your help has been brilliant. ;D
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 September 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
and because I really like to be sure, I can see that James Henry ( recorded as  James, no middle name) and Margaret were on the electoral register at 110 Bedford St in 1920, so that would fit in with the CWGC site details as those citations on the records would be from around the 1920s.

Pleased we could help. As in this case its often a joint effort with everyone pitching in bits and pieces till a fuller picture emerges.

Boo

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 September 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
I searched for the address given for Margaret Walmsley but it is on the Summary Books so no further information (also on the list is a Wignall at a different address) - how do you search for an address in 1901? Do you put the address in keywords?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 September 20 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Durham Girl - you can search by address on either Find My Past or the Genealogist.

To search on Find My Past go to the census via the 'All record sets' section and insert the census year. You get the option to click over to 'address'.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 September 20 19:05 BST (UK) »
ok thankyou

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 September 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
I have reviewed my postings from yesterday.
Matthew Wignall, born late 1885, baptised 17 December 1885 St Matthew’s, Preston. Father = Matthew (a Carter); Mother = Margaret. Living at Geoffrey Street, Preston.

A search of military records reveals that there are two service records for Matthew (junior).
The first attestation record shows Matthew joining the 3rd Battalion of the King’s Own, Royal Lancaster Regiment* on the 7 May 1902. He was given the service number of 9273. He gives his residence as 19 Heatley Street, Preston and his next of kin as Matthew and Margaret Wignall of the same address. He declares his occupation as that of a labourer and his age as 18 years. His record shows that he was just over 5 feet 2 inches tall weighing 99lbs with blue eyes; dark brown hair and a fresh complexion. His religion was Church of England. Page 3 of his attestation records that he was still present in 1903.

*a militia force for home service, only embodied into the regular Army at times of war.

The second attestation record shows Matthew joining the 3rd Battalion of the East Lancashire Regiment on the 27 February 1903 (transcriptions wrongly show the date as 1908). He was given the service number of 2520. He gives his residence as Brow(n) Square, Preston and his next of kin as Matthew and Margaret Wignall of the same address. He declares his occupation as that of a labourer and his age of 18 years 3 months. His record shows that he was 5 feet 4 inches tall weighing 109lbs with blue eyes; dark brown hair and a fresh complexion. His religion was Church of England.

Both attestation records imply that Matthew wasn’t honest about his age. When he joined the King’s Own Royal Lancaster regiment his true age would have being about 16 years 4 months and not 18 years as he declared. When he joined the East Lancashire Regiment his true age would have been about 17 years 3 months and not the 18 years 3 months he declared. He also wasn’t honest on his second attestation when he declared that he had never been in the Militia or Army before. His second attestation record shows that he joined the Shropshire Light Infantry (SLI) on the 6 February 1904 and was given a new service number of 7652.

The 1911 Census for military overseas records a Mark Wignall serving in India with the 2ndBattalion S.L.I. This man’s age and place of birth matches Matthew, it is likely that the two are the same. (a search of civil birth registration records have failed to find a birth registered in the UK for a Mark Wignall born circa 1885. Likewise, a search of military records has failed to find a Mark Wignall). The UK Army Registers of Soldiers’ Effects records that ‘our’ Matthew was in the 1st Battalion of the S.L.I. My thoughts are that he was transferred at some stage between the Battalions, the 1st battalion arrived in France in September 1914 whereas the 2nd didn’t arrive until December 1914. Matthew was killed in action on the 14 November 1914. He was awarded the 1914 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

I apologise for discounting Margaret Wignall marrying a Morrison, I agree that she married James Henry in 1908.

A search of Army pension records finds that there is an entry for a dependant’s pension made in 1920 by a Margaret Walmsley. A search of records has failed to find a link between her and Matthew.