Author Topic: 1911 census  (Read 1809 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 September 20 16:00 BST (UK) »

I apologise for discounting Margaret Wignall marrying a Morrison, I agree that she married James Henry in 1908.

No need to  apologise, all possibilities should be explored and your post led me to take a closer look at the addresses (which, at that stage I had failed to do) so it turned out fine in the end.
Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 25 September 20 16:19 BST (UK) »
Margaret Walmsley the address given for her on the pension index card was 29 Lawson St., Preston.

I've now poked round the electoral registers and found that a John Walmsley was registered to vote at that address in both 1911 and 1914.

Looking on family search for Margaret Walmsley in 1911, living in Preston with a Dad called John gives this transcript.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X49W-8GF

FS don't include an address in the transcript but if you have access to the 1911 census there's a very high chance that the address will match :-)

The following is straw clutching as a possibility that couldn't be proved without further documents such as birth/ deaths certs.

GRO site gives a birth in Q2 1913, Preston for a Maria Walmsley, mother's maiden name is blank which indicates the child was illegitimate

Sadly there is a corresponding death in the same year and quarter for a Maria Walmsley age 0.
?a possible child of Matthew Wignall and Margaret Walmsley?

As I say, its straw clutching, but IF it is correct it could be a link between Matthew Wignall and Margaret Walmsley.  Maybe they had planned to marry and he hadn't got home to do so before he was shipped off to France?

If it were me, I'd bung it in the possibles file anyway to be investigated at a later date (perhaps after winning the lottery  - at which stage I could sit and order certs for everyone I have in my tree, no matter how tiny a twiglet they are!)

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 25 September 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
GRO site gives a birth in Q2 1913, Preston for a Maria Walmsley, mother's maiden name is blank which indicates the child was illegitimate

Sadly there is a corresponding death in the same year and quarter for a Maria Walmsley age 0.
?a possible child of Matthew Wignall and Margaret Walmsley?

Good thinking, Boo.
Preston Burial Ground
Roman Catholic section
23 April 1913
Maria Walmsley
residence 29 Lawson Street
age 12 days
In a public grave
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJN-Q7LR

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 25 September 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Well done Boo, 911 Census shows that the Walmsley family were living at 29 Lawson Street. I would agree that it looks like Matthew and Margaret had a 'dalliance' resulting in the birth of a daughter. Hence the claim for a dependants benefit.

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 25 September 20 18:19 BST (UK) »
WOW :D   that's Brilliant. thanks so much.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 25 September 20 21:15 BST (UK) »
Well done Boo, 911 Census shows that the Walmsley family were living at 29 Lawson Street. I would agree that it looks like Matthew and Margaret had a 'dalliance' resulting in the birth of a daughter. Hence the claim for a dependants benefit.

Different perspective here, for 'dalliance' I would have thought, fella in the army, home on leave, plan to get married and (as is human nature) jumped the gun a bit on the consumation :-) We could both be wrong though . .

Boo

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 26 September 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
Boo,

Just been thinking things through --- if Maria was the daughter of Matthew,  why did Margaret Walmsley apply for benefits from the Army in 1920 when Maria had died? Is it possible that there was another child of Matthew and Margaret?

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 26 September 20 11:32 BST (UK) »
Short answer is I have no idea, but she does appear to have received a pension. I also don't know for sure that the child was Matthew's (or indeed, Margaret's -  only the birth cert would show who the mother was  -though given the address on the burial record jonw65 found its highly likely)

Longer answer (and I am not au fait with the intricacies of how the army decided if a dependant's pension was allowed, so this is conjecture)

Perhaps, as he was in regular army - so his records would span a longer time frame than those who joined up at the outbreak of war, intended to marry her anyway, he had been allocating part of his pay to be paid to her for her upkeep for some time? That 'could' have shown the army she was dependant upon his income? She was named as his sole legatee in the soldier's register of effects and the will may, or may not, shed any light on the relationship.  The pension index card (though sparse on detail) shows he was single, and awards dates listed for 1920 and 1921 (may have been longer for all I know, but they are the only dates listed.)

As ever, we find answers to one question and it sparks off yet more questions :-)

Boo

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 26 September 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
Been there many times on my own research -- one question answered leads to many more unanswered. As you say, his will may provide more clues.