Author Topic: Christening of Mary Palmer - Medbourne area  (Read 1523 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christening of Mary Palmer - Medbourne area
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 17:27 BST (UK) »
As this is the same date & place on the Ancestry tree, I assume this is whom they refer to as Elizabeth Huff, an interesting tree in may ways.

Elizabeth Kenne
Spouse   John Palmer
Marriage   10/04/1732 South  Kilworth, Leicestershire

However I am more likely to think that one of these is the death of John, the other might be his son, possible burials  also for daughters Elizabeth & Ann, all on Family Search

John Palmer
Burial
15 Jun 1726 OR 22 Dec 1727
Drayton, Leicestershire,

Also:

Elisabeth Palmer
Burial
30 Aug 1722
Drayton, Leicestershire
Spouse's Name: John

There are other burials at Drayton which may be the parents & siblings of John, if he was born there in 1780.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
If I've been looking at the same tree on Ancestry, then I wouldn't believe it.  According to this one John lives to be 100, his wife lives to be 100+ and a child also reaches a century.  8)
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
OOPs, thats the one BumbleB.

Colin

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
The tree could, of course, be accurate - BUT  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi DCB, ColC, BumbleB

Wow! What a lot of info, some of it I already had and some of it new to me. This definitely gives me something to work on.

I was aware of some of these people but not all of them so I will go through these tomorrow. I must admit I am more inclined to believe my John was born in 1680 rather than 1690/91 as there seems to be no record of a christening for him then and all the trees online show the same parish and date.

The christening in Prestwold is interesting but 24 miles from where Mary Palmer and her siblings were christened [Bringhurst & Drayton].

I think we are looking at two or three generations here which may have got mixed up in some of the online trees, but I need to check and do some more investigating.

It would be helpful if I could find some wills for these people but so far I have had no luck. It would also be interesting if they did live to 100 but that definitely needs more checking.

Many thanks again to everyone who has contributed something here. I will go through this all tomorrow and see what I can work out.

More news soon.

Matt

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 12:22 BST (UK) »
There was a John Palmer of Bringhurst who married Ann Smith in Medbourne in 1723.

There are records of John Palmer Senior and Junior in Slawston, which is just a few miles away. Also a number of Palmer wills from this village and nearby Medbourne, Hallaton, Stockerston and Horninghold, between 1635 and 1750

Unfortunately, none in Bringhurst.

David

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
There was a John Palmer of Bringhurst who married Ann Smith in Medbourne in 1723.

There are records of John Palmer Senior and Junior in Slawston, which is just a few miles away. Also a number of Palmer wills from this village and nearby Medbourne, Hallaton, Stockerston and Horninghold, between 1635 and 1750

Unfortunately, none in Bringhurst.

David

Hi David

Thanks for those bits of info. Where were those wills proved? I think they are definitely worth looking at.

I have found some wills for Palmers in Horninghold proved in the PCC as well which I have copies of.

Matt

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 October 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
None of the wills seem to mention where they were proved.

They are avaiable on - findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records-in-birth-marriage-death-and-parish-records/and_wills-and-probate

If you search on Palmer and Bringhurst with a five mile radius, there should be 38 results, although some are listed twice.

You should be able to see the index but will need a subscription or credits to view and download them.

David

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 October 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks David I will take a look at that.

Do you know if they are also likey to be available on Ancestry? I don't have a subscription to FindMyPast but do have access to Ancestry.

I think I am getting somewhere with these which is a start at least.

Matt