Author Topic: Christening of Mary Palmer - Medbourne area  (Read 1526 times)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Christening of Mary Palmer - Medbourne area
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 October 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Some of the wills appear on UK, Extracted Probate Records, 1269-1975 in Ancestry, but only as an index. I can't see any full details.

David

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 October 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
According to a tree I have seen on Ancestry, maybe the same as you, John was born in 1691 and died 1791, he married Elizabeth Huff 1732, it does not stack up, so maybe his second marriage.

I think this is the most likely parent's of the children below.

John Palmer of Great Easton, Leicestershire, married Elizabeth Fisher otp Cottingham, Northamptonshire
23 Apr 1710.  Parishes are less than 2 miles apart.

John & Elizabeth baptisms at Drayton (Maybe others elsewhere in County)

Elizabeth 1711, John 1713, Ann 1715, Mary 1718

I have checked on Ancestry, Freereg & Family Search the one you mention, on FS, if he was born in Leicestershire seems the most likely.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Hi Colin

I have been following up these leads and others posted on here and believe I have made some progress [only a little] with the Palmers.

I have come across one mystery though surrounding  the marriage of John Palmer and Elizabeth Fisher in 1710 which you mentioned. On Findmypast the marriage is listed as follows:

John Palmer of Great Easton, Leicestershire and Elizabeth HECTOR of Cottingham, Northamptonshire. 23 April 1710 at Cottingham.

On the original record Elizabeth's surname definitely looks more like Hector, so where did Fisher come from? She does not appear to be a widow and I can find no links to that name.

Any ideas?

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 October 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
Looking at the images, there is no John in 1691. The trees nearly all have Jan 1691 and I suspect they copied it from each other.

The one in Bringhurst & Drayton on 28 Nov 1680 to John and Elizabeth seems possible.

Possible marriage in Bringhurst & Drayton on 12 Oct 1676 of John to Elezebeth Kind

David

Hi David

I have been trying to do some research on Elizabeth Kind and have found what appears to be the will of her father. Robert Kind died in 1682 in Bringhurst leaving a will in which he mentions his daughter "Elizabeth Palmer" several times, and which was also witnessed by John Palmer [probablt his son in law].

So far though I can't find am Elizabeth Kind born to a Robert Kind in the Bringhurst area who could be the one who married John Palmer in 1676. I did find the following though:

Isabell Kind christened 5 December 1647 at Bringhurst & Drayton dau of Robert and Cunstance [probably Constance].

I am wondering if Elizabeth and Isabell could be the same person? Could the name have been corrupted?

Robert names some sons in his will as well and I am currently checking for those as well.

Matt

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 October 20 16:20 BST (UK) »
There are several baptisms in Bringhurst and Drayton to a Robert Kind and Christion. Elizabeth's was on 29th February 1651, but the surname transcribed as Rinde. Possible K mistaken as R.

There was a possible marriage, in Stoke Dry on 28th June 1646, but like Custance, may be written wronglRobert Kynde, son of Robert, baptised in Bringhurst and Drayton on 10th Jun 1621.y. Robert Keene to Christian Martin, both of Bringhurst.

David

P.S. - Robert Kynde, son of Robert, baptised in Bringhurst and Drayton on 10th Jun 1621.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 October 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
There are several baptisms in Bringhurst and Drayton to a Robert Kind and Christion. Elizabeth's was on 29th February 1651, but the surname transcribed as Rinde. Possible K mistaken as R.

There was a possible marriage, in Stoke Dry on 28th June 1646, but like Custance, may be written wronglRobert Kynde, son of Robert, baptised in Bringhurst and Drayton on 10th Jun 1621.y. Robert Keene to Christian Martin, both of Bringhurst.

David

P.S. - Robert Kynde, son of Robert, baptised in Bringhurst and Drayton on 10th Jun 1621.

Hi David

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll follow them up and see what they reveal.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 October 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Having looked at the 1682 will of Robert Kind of Bringhurst I can definitely see where and how a "k" could be mistaken for the letter "r"

Robert mentions three sons and three daughters in his will, John, Robert, Richard, Isabell, Elizabeth, and Sarah [who he names as his executor].

It looks like the person writing the will has written the "K" a bit like an "R" with an extra swirl at the top and you can see it is a K in the first line of the will. Later on though that extra bit seems to disappear or merge into the rest of the letter and the top "swirl" or line of the K tips down merges with the rest of the letter to make it look like the letter R.

That said if you compare it with the "R" at the start of "Robert" and "Richard" then it is clearly not the same so "Rinde" is definitely just a mis-reading. Also where Robert signs at the bottom the first letter of his surname is definitely a K as it is very clear.

Interestingly there is another document following the will which seems to relate to Robert's daughter Sarah whom he appointed his executrix. It is quite hard to read and I am still working bits of it out but in one sections she seems to state "exhibit this my Excommunication"

I may be wrong but it looks like "Excom......n" but a second opinion would be great.

This second document is dated May 1683.

I'll post images  later.

Matt