Author Topic: Risby family from Lavenham  (Read 1675 times)

Offline shan166

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Risby family from Lavenham
« on: Thursday 24 September 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,l am new to Rootschat so not sure l am doing it correctly,l am currently researching my family the Risbys from Lavenham Suffolk.l have got back to 1667 and now have drawn a blank,can anyone help me,l also am new to researching my family,but if anyone needs any of my finds please contact me 

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Risby family from Lavenham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 20 19:34 BST (UK) »
Shan - welcome to Rootschat.

You have done well to get back to 1667! What is the name of the ancestor you have reached - is it a baptism or a marriage?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline shan166

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi no the Thomas Risby l have was born in 1667 in Lavenham Suffolk and died in 1719,but l can't get further back.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 20 23:01 BST (UK) »
As you are no doubt aware, baptism records for St. Peter and St Paul, Lavenham, from 1558, are available on Familysearch, though you would need to do some research to find out if there are any gaps which may explain why you can’t find what you are looking for.

Marriages and burials aren’t available until later on Familysearch, though Boyd’s have marriages from 1558.

It could be that your Risbys came from elsewhere around 1667 if that is the earliest mention of them you can find in Lavenham. Are there any other Risby families in Lavenham prior to 1667?

Offline shan166

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 September 20 06:39 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your helpful input,l have found another Thomas Risby born in Lavenham in 1630-1667,it also seems that the family was quite prominent in Lavenham from the Domesday times,they were weavers,its only from 1800s that they left Suffolk and went to North London,l cant find out why.your input is very welcome thanks from a rookie searcher.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 September 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
You would need to do some research to find out what was going on in that area at that time, but at a guess, if there was a downturn in the weaving trade this may explain a move to London.

If you could put your Risbys in Lavenham into family groups it might help clarify.

You would need to look at parish records to hopefully find at least some fathers named on baptismal records before you can put them into family groups.

You haven’t told us the name or what the 1667 Risby that you are stuck on refers to, nor whether this 1667 record is a baptism, marriage or death. You said the Thomas mentioned above died in 1667  - is this the 1667 record you are referring to?

Offline shan166

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 September 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
oh yes sorry the Thomas Risby 1667 date of birth and he died in Lavenham 1719.l also found another Thomas(very confusing so many Thomases) born in Lavenham 1630,l assumed he was the father but could not find wife,Thomas died in Lavenham in 1667,l am beginning to think l am out of my depth with this ancestry quest(ha Ha)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 September 20 22:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, sorry I missed your earlier post which mentioned Thomas 1630-1719.  ;)

So to confirm ..... you have two Thomases? They are likely to be connected.

Thomas b 1630 - died 1667 (this is the one you can’t find a wife for)
Thomas b 1667 (coincidence he was born the same year as the earlier one died)  - died 1719. This is “your” Thomas.

I don’t know what sources you have used to get this far back, but have you looked at the original records rather than transcriptions, in case they hold more information?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 September 20 04:31 BST (UK) »
There are 10 children baptised at Lavenham with father Thomas within the relevant timeframe:

Thomas Risby bp.20/3/1667 (your man)
Mary Risby bp.17/1/1669
Lidea Risbey bp.10/3/1772
Tomasine Risby bp.25/1/1674
Ann Risbie bp.21/5/1676
Elizabeth Risbie bp.7/11/1677 (died)
William Risbie bp.9/9/1679, bur.16/5/1680
Elizabeth Risbie bp.8/5/1681
Martha Risbie bp.20/8/1682
Richard Risbie bp.15/11/1683, bur.19/11/1683

I would say the parents are Thomas Risby who married Lidia Day 1666 Lavenham (source Boyds Marriage Index who only give marriage year) and this Thomas was not the one who died 1667.

A Thomas Risby married Mary Paston 1583 Lavenham who I would think were the parents of Thomas bp.14/6/1584 and Susan bp.5/3/1586.

A Thomas Risby married a Susan Dale 1608/9 Lavenham who were presumably the parents of a Thomas bp.7/5/1609 and Edward bp.7/4/1611.

Have checked on 3 sites (Ancestry/FindMyPast/Familysearch) but can't see a Thomas Risby bp.1630 Lavenham??  Where has this come from?

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk