Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 24th September  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 24th September
« on: Thursday 24 September 20 23:53 BST (UK) »
Not a lot to report today. It had rained a lot during the night, more rain this morning, grey all day. Was feeling a bit under the weather too, nothing I could really put my finger on.

Long chat with a friend this morning then had lunch, spent a while cleaning and tidying. It was dry out by that time so decided to go for a walk, thought it might perk me up a bit. It was quite chilly, had just got into the woods when another friend phoned, arranged to call her back when I got home. Didn't stay out for long.

Rang my friend back, we were talking about the start of our art class tomorrow, it has to be done by Zoom for the time being. My friend is going to come over here and we'll have the class together, socially distanced in my kitchen. She'll be the first person to spend any time in my house since March. We'll do alternate weeks at each other's houses unless we're doing something particularly messy.

Finally rang my credit card company to tell them that I can't find my card. I feel sure it's somewhere in the house but despite looking everywhere I can think of I can't find it.  It'll probably turn up the day after I receive my new one.
After a cup of tea and reading for a while I did some more cleaning. Ordered some waterproof trainers from Amazon, hope they fit.
Had some of the spag bol I made yesterday for tea as it was easy.

I'm getting concerned about the increase in Covid cases and deaths in my area and in general. It doesn't help that the press like to sensationalise it all. I see also that volunteers are being asked for to undertake challenge trials of the new vaccine, they will be actually given the virus to see how the vaccine stands up to it. Amazingly people do volunteer. Where would we be without them?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 24th September
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 20 08:11 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - Good to see you’ll be enjoying actual company doing your art... it’s hard to imagine not having anyone in the house since March! I hope you enjoy your time together.
Credit cards can slip down anywhere and get lost... such a nuisance.... done it myself down the side of a chair... no idea how it got there and I’d looked and not found it initially!

It’s amazing that there are people out there willing to receive the virus and a vaccine to test if it works or not.. . As you say what would we do without them.. I read in the papers some shops are limiting items to stop panic buying... can’t bear the thought of going through that again.... I also see Asda are employing security people to make sure everyone who should wears a face covering....Wonder if others will do the same?

MY diary

Despite the forecast of rain it was quite bright, if a little chilly... decided I’d get some washing in...
After breakfast I popped out to the green grocers and the butchers... both places were quiet and I was the only person in there...
Contacted a friend once home and we had a nice long chat whilst I was marking out the patterns and then crawling round the hall floor laying the fabric up...  once we’d finished our chat I managed to move it all back to the dining table and cut out 10 🌈 scrub tops and lots of face coverings in all the gaps..
After a sudden torrential downpour the sun came out so I was able to hang out the washing...
OH home from golf.... not a happy chap.. he’s not been playing well lately and as a sports man is finding it increasingly frustrating.... cheered him up as best I could...
Started to machine the tops doing overlocking on all bits first and then pressing pocket flaps to sew next..
Made Thai green curry for dinner... good old Jamie Oliver I find his dishes easy to do and tasty...
Watched some tv and early night as really tired...
That’s all ... not a very interesting day...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
Even more scrubs.... you are wonderful Caroline.

What a great idea to meet  up regularly with an art friend Roobarb. I am sure that will give extra depth to the enjoyment of your sessions.

I managed to meet up with 5 of the dance group.... we are working out ways to change the dances so that we don't link hands etc. Not that I was good at remembering the routines before changes, so I don't hold out much hope, but it was a fun couple of hours, and then I returned to find H had an accident with a tin of dark green gloss paint, much of which is now on the hall carpet! >:( 
Possibly it would have been cheaper in the long run to have paid the contractors to paint the garage doors.
In the Bigger Picture it's a small problem I suppose.  :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 September 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
Will you be covered ( not in dark green paint I hope) by your Home Insurance.?
I hope so.
Well a sunny day here ,so some washing abd back to Bataan ( bathroom).

I swap emails now and then with someone.
Never met them but we both knowManchester and North West.
Two emails have been not sent,”mailbox unavailable”.
Not sure what that  means ,none sent to me In explanation.
The person lives alone in testing circumstances ,just back from a family visit .
I am wondering if everything is alright .
Is it my iPad ,does the recipient not wish to continue our very casual emails ,
are they ill?, - but they would if able reply unless they prefer not to receive
any more day to day goings on from me with a bit of local history thrown in.
We will see.
I have no address , nor phone number or surname.
It was a shared interest in a topic onRootsChat that made us exchange information.
Nothing I can do.

Shocking news about a Policeman shot dead at a detention centre,,! !!!
However could that happen!
Hope you are all well.

Flash Harry is clocking up the stars on the chart at school
Believe it or not he will have homework from next week!.
He works well at school but is high as a kite when he gets home ,so getting him to settle to work?
But a very exciting milieu at home.
Nanny and Pop’s  Motorcycle Franchise !

He lives with parents almost in the grounds in a bungalow .
Well fenced off but can see the mechanics who he is on best mate terms with.
Has not mixed for ages but he shouts across “ Art reet ?”
Local term by way of greeting( local as in here where he lived for almost four years before going South!)
“Are you all  right?”
Well no news really ,Son not coming today, I put everything in my Tesco list
for Tomorrow .
He has two places to take me to, Drs for flu jab and Eye Clinic for a checkup,
none done since lockdown in March.
So cheerio.
Look after yourselves .
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 September 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
Art reet?
Love it!!

Excess on insurance probably makes a claim not a good idea.

Have a good day Viktoria.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 September 20 10:43 BST (UK) »
Viktoria - I winder if your  friend has changed her email details if you’re getting that message or can you check from previous ones you’ve had from her that you’ve got the address correct ... it’s very easy to miss a dot here or there ... failing that if you started off on RC could you not contact her that way ... always distressing when you can’t work out why things happen...
Mowsehowse - perhaps you’re OH thought you’d like a change of colour for your hall carpet! No seriously I’d be livid!!!

Caroline

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
I would have been grateful had my Saintly OH ever picked up a paintbrush,saw,hammer, screwdriver etc .

Just got an email and photograph from Grand daughter ,she is making cakes
to sell, started when she made one for boyfriend’s birthday.
Not sure how others knew except he would have put it on Facebook
The local paper ran an article so no doubt she will get more orders.
She has her Food Hygiene certs grade 5 as they serve food at the Motor Cycle franchise on Saturdays in normal times.
Still sunny here ,cheerio.
Viktoria,

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 September 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
Gutted more than livid Caroline.... and SO enormously grateful that I didn't cause it to happen.

Viktoria, sending very best wishes for your grandaughter's venture. She deserves every success.

Just been for a walk along Babbacombe Downs.
Four cruise liners at anchor there today!
A magnificent sight.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 September 20 12:59 BST (UK) »
"I would have been grateful had my Saintly OH ever picked up a paintbrush,saw,hammer, screwdriver etc ."

Depends what happens after the picking up Viktoria!
So far garage doors still need painting, and we also now need a new carpet!! :'(