Author Topic: Lost/Died at sea  (Read 956 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost/Died at sea
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 September 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Query duplicated here
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=837927.msg7033589
have suggested to mods that threads are merged.

ADDED: Sorry, that was an error
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 September 20 23:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any information on my Thomas McDonald b.1804 St Ives, Cornwell. He married Maria Toms 27 February 1827. He was a Master Mariner and obtained his certificate 1851.

On 16 May 1860 he was engaged onboard the ship "North Briton" which sailed from Liverpool (I think) on 27 May 1860. He was not heard from since.

According to his Probate record he died about 11 May 1860 near Barrow, Lancashire which doesn't tally with the Seaman's Effects Records

To sum up for the OP - ignore the various faux pas on this thread - the Thomas McDonald who died near Barrow on 11 May 1860 was the master of the schooner Adamant of Penryn, and was not the Thomas McDonald who was lost on the North Briton a few weeks later.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 September 20 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I think the Thomas McDonald who died in Barrow on 11 May 1860 with the newspaper article must be the Thomas I am looking for. He was from Penryn and his wife was Maria. The other one on the North Briton must be a different Tomas. It was so confusing.

Thank you all for your help but if you come across any other info that proves otherwise, I would be most happy to receive it.

Warmest regards,
Marj

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 20 13:26 BST (UK) »
See
https://www.crewlist.org.uk/people/BT124masters?target=McDonald&SearchType=Exact&initial=t&dob=1804&submit=search
you can see the image on Clip but you can download for free from TNA. This maybe a little clearer.
Yes. I downloaded the documents from Kew and they are much easier to read.
Just click the above link. You need to register with TNA and you can then download for free. Your Ancestor is on page30 of 62 in BT124-1-8.
His Masters Certificate is  number 38325.
The vessel he was on board at the time of his demise was the Falmouth registered ship ADAMANT. Built in Barnstable in 1823. A sailing vessel of 90 registered tons. Official Number 14828.
If they have survived her 1860 Logbooks and Crew Agreements are lodged with TNA Kew.
These should tell you the circumstances his death.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4070914

Ideally you would need to visit Kew or appoint a researcher to look for you
It would appear that he was employed in the Home Trade and voyaged on sailing ships registered in Devon and Cornwall.

If you wish to know all of the vessels he sailed on. Just make another post.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022