Author Topic: M.E. on "Tricolor"  (Read 1098 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: M.E. on "Tricolor"
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 September 20 01:58 BST (UK) »
 :)

At page 11 of 12,
 Part B, 3. Operational Service, a) Overseas service :  originally compiled 19 Sept 1945.

Middle East
4 May 1940 embarked from Australia to  13 March 1942 disembarked in Australia

New Guinea 10 August 1942 from Australia to 10 March 1943 disembarked in Australia

Borneo 6 May 1945 to 16 September 1945.

Same page, Part C ... 38 days overseas non effective service.

More details,  but effective 30 Oct 1945  your  chap took his discharge at RAS  ie at the same location as he had enlisted... the Royal Agricultural Showground, Moore Park Rd, Paddington (Sydney). 

page 5 ...
 RTD D O Return to Duty, Daily Orders,

page 6
While in New Guinea  he was hospitalised with a fever  ... PUO

What other capital letters on which pages are of concern?

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 September 20 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, 

X19 is the HMT vessel named as Ashun.  Ashun and Jacob were both HMTs in Brisbane in August 1942 and transported the Bn to New Guinea.   You can find confirmation   for example X1 in the. Bn's War Diaries entry for 4 May 1940,  which includes the time of the train departing Ingleburn that took them to Prymont and then to X1. And then all the Ports of call date time etc in that voyage up to Scotland.   Moving forward to August 1942 and looking at Walter's digitised service record ... the clerk has written Ashun then crossed it out and written X19.  So go to page 29 of volume 2 of the book 'of storms and Rainbows'  yes it says that's for 2/12 battalion.   :)  ..   some/coys from 2/2 Bn or more seem to have been renumbered  to 2/12 Bn ... you can check with their official unit  war diaries... headings on various diary pages refer to this occasionally ... , freely available online Australian War Memorial.

Add HMT  as in His Majesty's Transport.

Further add ... MV Anshun  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 September 20 03:43 BST (UK) »
MV Anshun  ...  :) google it.

JM

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 20 07:24 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ. Thank you - this is a very useful suggestion.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 September 20 07:25 BST (UK) »
q98,  Thank you for all your help.  This helps fill in a lot of my gaps. Much appreciated

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 September 20 07:26 BST (UK) »
raonull4,  Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 September 20 07:28 BST (UK) »
majm,  So many helpful facts and places to follow up.  I very much appreciated your help - it has assisted me to try and piece together my uncles war service.  Thank you

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi majm,  I am still having trouble with various letters. eg. the period April 1943 to Nov. 1943 what is M/l....GOD.    and LTD.  IADSC          AMR ....etc.  Cannot make any sense of this section.  He appears to be in NSW and Queensland
I believe he was mentioned in Dispatches on Goodenough Island - have you any idea how I can check this out?
The family says he did a heroic deed to taking out a machine gun nest and that there was no 'standing'officers left so he moved from Private to Acting Sergeant to Sergeant in a short time. Because there was no Officers he was never written up for an award.  How can I  prove or disprove this?
Am I reading it right that on the 27 June, 1943 he was transferred to H.Q.2 Aust. Old.Field Park (AIF) If this is right it would have been when he joined my father - his brother.  Thank you for help

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 07:26 BST (UK) »
M/I is Marched In ... so moving from one place to another

I will check the image tomorrow.

JM