Author Topic: Trying to connect up distant Potter relatives using DNA  (Read 322 times)

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to connect up distant Potter relatives using DNA
« on: Friday 25 September 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
My 6x great grandfather is John Potter born around 1778, probably in Liverpool, but not sure. This is as far back as I've been able to get using paper genealogy. Don't know who his siblings are. His children were Ann, Ellen, Frances, Jane, Robert, John, Louisa and Charlotte, some born in Liverpool and some in Chester.

I'm now trying to use DNA to see if I can push through this brick wall. I'm new to using it. I have a few matches that descend from people with the Potter surname, descendants of the following people:

• Dorothy Potter, born in Woolton in 1817, Lancashire to Thomas Potter and Mary Latham (10 Centimorgans shared). Married James Hockenhall.
  • Lydia Potter, who married Jeremiah Clough in Prestwick in 1803. (share 8 Centimorgans) . Born 1784 in Worsley, Lancashire to David Potter.
  • two people that descend from Thomas Potter born in Wirksworth, Derbyshire about 1700.

I'm trying to piece this together to link their trees to mine but am having a hard time doing so. Any advice on how to work through these kind of situations?
North West, North Wales and Isle of Man:

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Apap / De Apapis, Camilleri, Grech, Muscat, Micallef, Custo, De Nasi

Angus, Scotland:

Ormond, Salmond, Cook, MacDonald

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to connect up distant Potter relatives using DNA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 20 16:27 BST (UK) »

Have you checked via Thrulines on Ancestry?

I found a DNA match at just 6cMs, who matched to me via our 5x Great Grandparents. Such a shame that Ancestry have removed these lower matches, some of them were very helpful.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 20 16:57 BST (UK) »
How do you know he was born around 1778?

Who did he marry?  When & where?

Have you found him on the 1841 census or had he died by then?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 September 20 16:58 BST (UK) »

I found a DNA match at just 6cMs, who matched to me via our 5x Great Grandparents. Such a shame that Ancestry have removed these lower matches, some of them were very helpful.

Romilly.

Its actually my distant cousin through the Potter line who's test it is. She has just shared her matches with me. I've told her to enable Thru Lines but will have to wait. Doesn't look like it would help much though because their trees don't go any further back than what I've listed in my original post.

Is it simply a case of trial and error building up the tree of their descendant and seeing if there are any possible places for my John Potter?

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland:

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 September 20 17:07 BST (UK) »
How do you know he was born around 1778?

Who did he marry?  When & where?

Have you found him on the 1841 census or had he died by then?

Done one or two previous threads on John Potter so will simply link to that rather than repeat anything:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=826041.msg6900010#msg6900010

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 September 20 17:27 BST (UK) »
Romilly.

Its actually my distant cousin through the Potter line who's test it is. She has just shared her matches with me. I've told her to enable Thru Lines but will have to wait. Doesn't look like it would help much though because their trees don't go any further back than what I've listed in my original post.

Is it simply a case of trial and error building up the tree of their descendant and seeing if there are any possible places for my John Potter?

I would ask your relative to link her DNA test to her Tree.

Thrulines doesnít just look at one Tree, itíll look for any other Trees who have the same names mentioned. I always check the hints, to see if any of the named Tree owners have a DNA Match to me.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 September 20 19:56 BST (UK) »
Romilly.

I would ask your relative to link her DNA test to her Tree.

Thrulines doesnít just look at one Tree, itíll look for any other Trees who have the same names mentioned. I always check the hints, to see if any of the named Tree owners have a DNA Match to me.

Romilly.

Thanks for this. She's just connected her tree and enabled Thru Lines, but unfortunately it won't go back further than 7 generations! That's the point we've managed to get to with the paper trail. Its the 8th generation we need to figure out. Any other methods you'd employ to tackle this puzzle?

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 September 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
History Lives,

Have you both uploaded to other Sites?

Always worth a try, because some people donít test with Ancestry.

I started off testing with Ancestry, uploaded from there to Gedmatch, FTDNA and My Heritage. I also tested with Living DNA and 23andme. Iíve found matches on 23andme  who havenít tested anywhere else.

Itís best to cast your net wide! 😃

Best of luck, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 September 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
History Lives,

Have you both uploaded to other Sites?

Always worth a try, because some people donít test with Ancestry.

I started off testing with Ancestry, uploaded from there to Gedmatch, FTDNA and My Heritage. I also tested with Living DNA and 23andme. Iíve found matches on 23andme  who havenít tested anywhere else.

Itís best to cast your net wide! 😃

Best of luck, Romilly.

Thanks Romilly, that would probably be worth trying. Better than the approach of trying to link these seemingly random Potter lines into mine!

Gozo, Malta:

Angus, Scotland: