Author Topic: Trying to connect up distant Potter relatives using DNA  (Read 321 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to connect up distant Potter relatives using DNA
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 September 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
To work out thru lines of some of my DNA matches with small trees I had to widen my tree adding descendants of all siblings of eldest ancestor .
You have to work your way back down to whatever era they've reached
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

guest189040

« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 September 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thrulines is good if you have a common ancestor or Ancestry can cobble together a pathway from multiple available trees into one route between you and your match.

I clicked on an 8 cM match yesterday and look through their tree, the last name on one of their branches rang a bell and within 10 minutes I had worked out a probable link to me.  So sometimes it is just luck finding a name or people in a location that your ancestors were in at the same time.

Using the Group feature and colour coding Shared Matches also helps.

Offline History Lives

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 September 20 14:02 BST (UK) »
Though ThruLines will only take me back 7 generations to John Potter (abt 1778 to 1830) it has linked me up to another confirmed descendant of John Potter and his wife; let's call her Person B.

Myself and Person B have a match in common, Person C (at 20 Centimorgans). Presumably myself, Person B and Person C all share a common ancestor and it is either through John Potter or his wife (or an ancestor of these two).

Unfortunately, their tree is small but I'm going to try and construct their tree and see if that yields any results. I wouldn't have thought the match would be very far back as 20 Centimorgans is a decent chunk.
North West, North Wales and Isle of Man:

Ward, Campbell, Cowin, Cowell, Parry, Fryer, Davies, Hughes, Briscoe, Jones, Spencer, Brownbill, Crowfoot, Nield, Randles, Youde

Gozo, Malta:

Apap / De Apapis, Camilleri, Grech, Muscat, Micallef, Custo, De Nasi

Angus, Scotland:

Ormond, Salmond, Cook, MacDonald

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 20 15:38 BST (UK) »

Iíve got 3rd to 4th Cousin matches at that level HL.

And yes, thatís how Iíve done it, - reworking Trees.

Do you have any other family members who would test?

I can access my late Motherís, sisters and 4 1st cousins test results. I have found that a match who, for example, matches to me at only 8cMs, matches at 68cMs to my Paternal 1st cousin. Also, they might have different Shared Matches; which can give you more clues.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.