Author Topic: "Who do you think you are?" October  (Read 11304 times)

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
Re: "Who do you think you are?" October
« Reply #126 on: Thursday 29 October 20 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Ruth Jones was also responsible for Stella which is another excellent series and a good laugh. I can only say that Ruth Jones contribution has been massive ....

Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Friday 30 October 20 00:10 GMT (UK) »
One thing I've always puzzled at when experts closely date photographs by the garments people are wearing is - do people not carry garments forward for years, sometimes even decades? "Best Clothes" would often be used as such for quite a long period of time, so could often seem to lead to an earlier date than a photograph might actually be?
That thought has occurred to me. I have clothes which were made decades ago.
Cowban

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Friday 30 October 20 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I hope one day  the WDYTYA? team would show an ordinary person and their frustrations and delights as they rediscover who they are.

Here in Australia a new show has been running for the past month entitled 'Every Family Has A Secret' Each week 2 ordinary people discover things from the past, it can be a missing father and the things he got up to or in one episode an Asian lady, now in her 60's who never knew her real name and what she found out was unbelievable. I have found them far more interesting than a lot of the celebrities that are shown. They advertise at the end of each episode for people to contact them if they have an unsolved interesting past.
Hopefully one day it will make it across to the UK & USA
Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Friday 30 October 20 09:07 GMT (UK) »
One thing I've always puzzled at when experts closely date photographs by the garments people are wearing is - do people not carry garments forward for years, sometimes even decades? "Best Clothes" would often be used as such for quite a long period of time, so could often seem to lead to an earlier date than a photograph might actually be?
That thought has occurred to me. I have clothes which were made decades ago.

The experts on the Photo Board here usually comment that if a more formal photo is being taken then the subjects would try and wear their “best” clothes, not something that was seen as “out of fashion”.

In the 19th century women would also often be able to modify their clothes to add fashionable detail.

Young people particularly would be prone to being up to date if they could.

And of course photos were newer and more special and unusual than a snapshot would be today.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Friday 30 October 20 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I hope one day  the WDYTYA? team would show an ordinary person and their frustrations and delights as they rediscover who they are.
Here in Australia a new show has been running for the past month entitled 'Every Family Has A Secret' Each week 2 ordinary people discover things from the past, it can be a missing father and the things he got up to or in one episode an Asian lady, now in her 60's who never knew her real name and what she found out was unbelievable. I have found them far more interesting than a lot of the celebrities that are shown. They advertise at the end of each episode for people to contact them if they have an unsolved interesting past.
Hopefully one day it will make it across to the UK & USA
Paul

Sounds fascinating Paul, I do hope that it comes here eventually.

I don’t think that just having been on TV makes people more interesting, but I suppose that the program makers are more interested in the viewing figures?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 30 October 20 10:29 GMT (UK) »
   Possibly people who went to Australia have more interesting family histories since emigrating than those of us whose ancestors stayed put?  :D
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Friday 30 October 20 11:33 GMT (UK) »
 'Possibly people who went to Australia have more interesting family histories since emigrating than those of us whose ancestors stayed put?'

Not in my case - for all the wrong reasons!  :D

Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Friday 30 October 20 11:42 GMT (UK) »
  I was rather taken with Newquay. If I ever leave home again, I will put it on the list!

ToH, make sure you go to New Quay and not Newquay! ;)
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Friday 30 October 20 13:03 GMT (UK) »
  I will bear that in mind!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire