Author Topic: Roger Cripps  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Cripps
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 September 20 20:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, this confirms my suspicions on the 1848 death I came across. 

1841 has a Roger Cripps living at St Nicholas Street age 71 occ Ag Lab born in County. 

It looks like his death in 1848
CRIPPS, ROGER       age 77 
1848  March Quarter in OF BODMIN  Volume 09  Page 25

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 September 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 September 20 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, I did stumble across a roger and jone, but like you said, felt this was too early for the roger I was looking for.  Is it possible theres a Roger Cripps birth registration in those areas you mentioned?  Perhaps the Roger who married mary godfrey came from one of those other towns??

Perhaps Roger and jane were my Roger Cripps parents?  Theres also one possibility mentioned below where a Roger married an elizabeth Hicks??

The following site gives some details:

https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/

Roger Cripps/Mary Godfrey marriage 23rd January 1803 Bodmin
Mary Cripps baptism 16th November 1806 Bodmin

And from the same website:
Burial 22 July 1838 Bodmin - Mary CRIPPS, wife of Roger.
Burial 26 March 1848 Bodmin - Roger CRIPPS of St Nicholas Street, age 78, died 23rd.

There are no other baptisms for children of Roger and Mary in or near Bodmin.

I checked the images of the Bodmin Parish Register on FamilySearch for baptisms - there are no CRIPPS baptisms from 1760 to 1806.  So, Roger had a non-conformist baptism, was not baptised at all, or moved to Bodmin from elsewhere.  Mary (1838) and Roger (1848) are the only CRIPPS burials in Bodmin since 1640 which indicates that Roger arrived from elsewhere.

A search on the Cornwall OPC website shows CRIPPS burials and baptisms in Lostwithiel, Mevagissey, and Antony.  The AA Route Planner website has modern distances from Bodmin by road: Lostwithiel 6.5 miles, Mevagissey 17.3 miles, Antony 25.9 miles, so Lostwithiel seems the likeliest starting point.

Philip

ADDED
: There is a baptism on the Cornwall OPC in Lostwithiel 18 Sep 1744 for Roger CRIPS son of Roger and Jone - too early for your Roger, but on 24 Dec 1769 in Lanlivery he married Jane HUSBAND of Lostwithiel.  Given that Roger was a relatively unusual name at the time, this might be a lead worth checking.

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
This is certainly a possibility.  given the transcription errors and its an unusual name at the time.  I wonder if my Roger could be the son of this Roger and Elizabeth and Perhaps Roger married twice as a Jane Husband is also another possibility mentioned above.  Thanks

Searching without a surname:

24 Sep 1769
St. Minver
Roger CRISPE
Father:   Roger
Mother:    Elizabeth

Perhaps this is Roger CRIPPS who married in 1768 to Elizabeth HICKS.

Debra  :)

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 September 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
Any information found on Roger and Marys children, when they died or whether they married?

Hi I'm trying to find information on Mary Cripps parents who were Roger Cripps and Mary Godfrey.  Mary Cripps I believe was born around 1806, bodmin, Cornwall. She married James Mitchell/michell 1805, crowan Cornwall and had a number of children including Charles Mitchell 1845, Richard Mitchell 1842,  William Mitchell 1838, John mitchell 1840, Elizabeth Jane Mitchell 1848, James Mitchell, Joseph Mitchell.

Mary's parents were Roger Cripps who I have little information on, other than marrying Mary Godfrey.  I've no info on either of them and one ancestry site has hardly any records on Roger Cripps.  Other sites may I don't know. 

Any help on Mary's parentage, and more detailed information most welcome.  Also help to identify any marriages, deaths of Mary's children and her husband James as there are a number of michells/Mitchell's in the same area which is making it difficult working out whose who.  I believe James parents, Mary's husband to be William and Elizabeth but again this is all I have on them.

Thanks all