Author Topic: Patrick joseph Hughes- South Australia  (Read 377 times)

Offline samantha74

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick joseph Hughes- South Australia
« on: Saturday 26 September 20 12:29 BST (UK) »
hoping someone can i have a Patrick Joseph Hughes born 1887 to Bridget Casey and Patrick Hughes. he married Ethel Williams March 1912 in SA. they had 3 children
Patrick deserted his wife. in march 1926 there was an article in the paper about a maitence order he had to pay for deserting his wife.
i have been unable to find any more info regarding him.
Ethel died Oct 1953 and is buried in Mitcham cemetery
Mcbride iin South australia and county Downs Ireland
Mcinnes  South Australia and Scotland
Fitzpatrick -  in SA, NSW and County Clare Ireland
Marshall- South australia
Gilbert - South Australia
Liversedge- South australia and England
Hillier &Goodwin   South Australia
Sandland, Boehme/Bohme, Hawkes in SA
B

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick joseph Hughes- South Australia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 September 20 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi samantha74,

I am usually receiving rather than giving assistance, but will give it a go!

There is a Patrick Joseph HUGHES buried at Centennial Park cemetery in Pasadena, South Australia, but according to the cemetery website and Find a Grave, birth and death dates are unknown, but he lived at Athelstone and was 52 when he died. It could be worth emailing the cemetery to see if any other information is available. I have no idea how or why there would be no birth or death date recorded.

There is an SA death index for a Patrick Joseph HUGHES, death date 6 Jun 1966, but it gives no other details. They could be the same person.

To be honest, there are buckets of people with this name! I see from the article about the maintenance order that he originated from Broken Hill. He may have returned there. I am mainly looking at the SA info.

It could be worth checking the National Archives for a military service record; it's also possible that he changed his name to avoid his arrest.

Do you have any other details? Age at marriage? Children's names? Any little snippets might help, and hopefully might trigger better research than mine. Good luck!

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi samantha74,

I am usually receiving rather than giving assistance, but will give it a go!

There is a Patrick Joseph HUGHES buried at Centennial Park cemetery in Pasadena, South Australia, but according to the cemetery website and Find a Grave, birth and death dates are unknown, but he lived at Athelstone and was 52 when he died. It could be worth emailing the cemetery to see if any other information is available. I have no idea how or why there would be no birth or death date recorded.

There is an SA death index for a Patrick Joseph HUGHES, death date 6 Jun 1966, but it gives no other details. They could be the same person.

To be honest, there are buckets of people with this name! I see from the article about the maintenance order that he originated from Broken Hill. He may have returned there. I am mainly looking at the SA info.

It could be worth checking the National Archives for a military service record; it's also possible that he changed his name to avoid his arrest.

Do you have any other details? Age at marriage? Children's names? Any little snippets might help, and hopefully might trigger better research than mine. Good luck!

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Patrick-Joseph-Hughes/8146215
Patrick Joseph Hughes
Born: 1914
Died: 1966
Centennial Park Cemetery
760 Goodwood Road
Pasadena, Adelaide, South Australia

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 20 01:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you, cupoflife. Obviously not the one we're looking for, then :). I'm trying!

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 20 04:12 BST (UK) »
Following up on information from a tree on Ancestry:

SA Police Gazette July 21 1926
Warrant issued for PATRICK JOSEPH HUGHES, expert machinist, 38-40 yo, native of Broken Hill NSW, in respect of the maintenance of his wife and children

National Archives Australia record search
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx
HUGHES Jeremiah : Service Number - 5590 : Place of Birth - Lancelot SA : Place of Enlistment - Adelaide SA : Next of Kin - (Mother) HUGHES Bridget barcode 7031557
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=7031557

This has a lot of family information including 'medals to eldest brother P J Hughes' named by his sister H G McClure as Patrick Joseph Hughes; approx dates for deaths of parents; addresses etc

Electoral rolls have a Patrick Joseph Hughes in Broken Hill into the 1970s, and the Broken Hill cemetery has Patrick Joseph Hughes in 1976
http://www.bhcemetery.com.au/

NSW BDM is down for a few days, so cannot check further

M

Offline samantha74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
update . the one in broken hill cemetery is not him, its his cousin. i will keep looking
around 1951 he lived 643 william street North Broken hill which is recorded on his brothers army records
Mcbride iin South australia and county Downs Ireland
Mcinnes  South Australia and Scotland
Fitzpatrick -  in SA, NSW and County Clare Ireland
Marshall- South australia
Gilbert - South Australia
Liversedge- South australia and England
Hillier &Goodwin   South Australia
Sandland, Boehme/Bohme, Hawkes in SA
B