Author Topic: British nationals married in Hamburg  (Read 318 times)

Offline Cuireach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British nationals married in Hamburg
« on: Saturday 26 September 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
On the family trees for a couple of my ancestors several people have noted that the couple in question married in Hamburg in 1850.  I have searched all over but am unable to find confirmation of this.  They are:
Francis J Moore, born 1813 in Monkwearmouth, Sunderland
Janet Gibb, born 1828 in Glasgow
Francis was a master mariner and sailed the Baltic coast routes delivering coal and industrial products. The firm he worked for, based in Hartlepool, had a regular weekly route to Hamburg so it is feasible he married there. The only other records I have found for him regarding being abroad(apart from his ships logs) is that his son, Francis J C Moore, was born in Visby, Sweden in 1857. On the Swedish baptism records the father is down as Francis Moore and the mother as  Jeanette Gilb.  Any assistance that be given to sort this would be much appreciated.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British nationals married in Hamburg
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 September 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Have you checked on FindMyPast?
British Armed Forces and Overseas Banns and Marriages
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Cuireach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for your suggestion.  I have tried this before but tried it again just in case I missed something. No sign of them i`m afraid  :-(

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 September 20 21:49 BST (UK) »
To add to the records indicating he was abroad or at least travelling a lot, on Francis J C Moore's marriage certificate (his son) in 1879, Francis Moore the father has a given occupation of Captain at Sea.

Offline Cuireach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liam, I have a copy of FJC moores birth certificate, he is my gt grandad on my mams side. I have seen a records of FJ Moore`s ships records. He was master of the ship `Ellen` based in Whitby between 1849 and 1850. The log, unlike some of the later logs I have found, doesn't give a record of where he went that year.  Thanks for all the interest though, much appreciated.