Author Topic: Demonstrations in Trafalgar Square  (Read 2043 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Demonstrations in Trafalgar Square
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 September 20 21:20 BST (UK) »
I think, if they are being totally honest, most people 'of a certain age' ( and I'm one) are 'doing the right thing' primarily in order to stay healthy themselves. Helping others is a by product but the basic human instinct is to survive.

I find protestations that anyone is doing it for altruistic reasons rather smug and self righteous.

I also think there's something to be said for the approach that Pheno has misinterpreted. It is becoming clear that there is no way to protect people AND protect the economy. Therefore, the way out seems to me to let most healthy people of ages which are little affected by the virus to be able to get on with their lives and keep their jobs and allow those of us who feel the need to protect ourselves by isolating when necessary. It doesn't mean that 'the general public have become okay with the idea of vulnerable people dying' - that would be a terrible slur on humanity - nor does it mean that 'the economy is more important' but I'm afraid in our society , the economy is important and if we don't do something, more people are going to lose their jobs and their homes. That will inevitably result in more crime.

Personally, as I'm sure most of you know by now, I think the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion and has been handled appallingly by the government. They have succeeded in scaring the bejesus out of the population so that we've become a nation of cowering wrecks. Having successfully achieved that objective, they then changed tack and tried to get everyone back to work, only to change again and now they're trying (and obviously succeeding) to terrify us all over again.

Most of us on here don't have to worry about our jobs because we're retired. We can mostly afford to self isolate if we want to or feel the need to. Hopefully, it won't be for too much longer but it is in our own interests as well to get things (as far as possible) back to near normal.

Its frightening the way some students are locked in as virtual prisons in their halls of residence. They even have 24 hour guards to stop them going out - even for food. This is getting beyond a joke. It is harming our society just as much as the virus - if not more.

I sincerely hope that the revolting Tories win next week's vote against extending Boris's ability to introduce draconian measures without consulting Parliament. He should have to justify them and should be called to account for each measure. That's if he condescends to turn up to Parliament, of course.

Even the Chancellor said it - don't live your lives in fear.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 September 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
the revolting Tories

One phrase that makes sense anyway.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 September 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
People do act through altruistic motives, whatever you think.

guest189040

« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 September 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
I despair at the stupidity of sections of society.

I did not see any people in scrubs in the demo.

Those demonstrating should be identified and fined.

The softly softly approach just does not work with some people so it s time to get tough with them.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 September 20 22:48 BST (UK) »

I also think there's something to be said for the approach that Pheno has misinterpreted.

I didn't misinterpret - it is what I was told!  Can't honestly say I disagree with it either as I don't want the world to stop and I want my descendants to be free of this virus and live relatively normally so although I will attempt to protect myself, and inevitably others, so be it if I become a statistic.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 September 20 22:56 BST (UK) »
The demonstration was led by David Icke which tells you all you need to know really.

Quite...!! How anyone can take him seriously is beyond me...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 September 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
Quote from: jillruss link=topic=837971.msg7034440#msg7034440 date=1601151628

Its frightening the way some students are locked in as virtual prisons in their halls of residence.
[/quote

+ residents of some care homes. Some relatives are "liberating" their relatives, bringing them home for the short time they have left.

Edit. Don't know what happened there re quotes. Sorry.
Cowban

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 September 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
I think, if they are being totally honest, most people 'of a certain age' ( and I'm one) are 'doing the right thing' primarily in order to stay healthy themselves. Helping others is a by product but the basic human instinct is to survive.

I find protestations that anyone is doing it for altruistic reasons rather smug and self righteous.

I totally agree with Jillruss on this.  I think everyone was fine when they said we had to protect ourselves and protect the NHS.  Now we have to protect everyone and it is impossible to achieve.  I object to being told that if I cough, someone's granny is going to die.  That has probably always been the case.  I am very happy to protect myself and my OH.  There is nobody else I need to protect.  If we choose to isolate, that is our choice.  If we choose to take risks, that is also our choice although we are very careful wherever we go.  People need to get on with their lives without this fear that is hanging over us. 

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 September 20 16:25 BST (UK) »

+ residents of some care homes. Some relatives are "liberating" their relatives, bringing them home for the short time they have left.

Edit. Don't know what happened there re quotes. Sorry.

Yes, I agree. I should have mentioned care homes. Our lovely, caring government swore to put a protecting arm around them - they've done nothing.  I read in today's paper that they're actually paying care homes over the odds to take in elderly patients with covid. I don't know if this is right but I doubt a paper would have printed it without some verification.

Sorry, but I no longer believe a word these people utter, especially Boris with his faux Churchillian blather. I can't decide whether he's out of his depth, not interested, just plain stupid - or all three.

Another couple of comments:

Has anyone else noticed that all the current lockdown areas appear to be in the North or Wales? Has the virus decamped from southern England in a similar way as it's supposedly not at large after 10pm? I know the North and Wales have big cities and conurbations but the South have big cities as well. Does Mr Cummings need 48 hours notice before London is locked down so that he (and his spectacles) can beat a hasty retreat to Durham?

Has anyone seen the Scottish advert aimed at frightening us even more than we already have been? My paper calls it a video nasty - young girl goes out with her friends, comes back to see her grandfather and makes him a cup of tea. Apparently it shows 'gunge' being transferred from her to the teapot etc and finally to granddad. Sounds horrendous. Even worse than 'don't kill granny'.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.