Author Topic: Tracing changed house names  (Read 867 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing changed house names
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 September 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
I agree with all the above ideas and would have done exactly as Stan suggests to start off such a search but I remember trying to find a property in rural Sussex a while back and I used a nearby pub that I knew hadn't changed its name for three hundred odd years to orientate myself on the census and then went from there.

Liz

It’s rural Sussex I’m trying to find too! I’ve found an old map that won’t let me zoom entirely (without buying it!) but I can make out it sits in the area of farmland called Climshurst. I can’t see if the plot of the house I’m interested in has a name attached. I’ve just done a Census search and have come up with Climshurst, Old Climshurst, Little Climshurst etc which at least is a start!!

I’m not sure if there’s anything else I can do at this stage other than to try and get lucky with finding an old pic etc?  ???

Thanks Liz
M

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 September 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
As Liz says, once you have found it on a map, you can perhaps see if there is a pub/inn nearby to act as a datum point; you can follow the enumerator's route - this is on the first page of any census piece on Ancestry.

When you say Victorian, that's a long period! When was the house built?

Thanks Josey,

It’s a huge period!! I think I can trace it to the 1841 Census at least, depending on which actual house it is on the farm estate. (Looking at an old map from 1890, though I’ve located the site and it’s name, I’ve still not got the actual name for the house.)

Mx

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 September 20 17:03 BST (UK) »
Ahh OK - well Burwash is probably about as rural as the area I was looking at - have you tried looking at the tithe maps on the East Sussex CC website - they are free? If you know the name of it now you can (I assume?) look at where it is on a current map and then see what the tithe map overlay has and who was there - tie that up with the 1841 census and see what it was called? I have found the area that was Climshurst Farm on the tithe maps ... just north of the A265 a little to the west of Burwash Common.

Liz

ADDED this moght not work with just the 1841 though as it seems Jesse Pilbeam occupied most of the area and I suspect the individual houses aren't actually named.
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 October 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone - Liz you're a star! Through the map ideas I have since found the house on the footprint was there from around 1890. I have a lead of a slightly varied house name too so I'm going to spend a bit of time on those threads and see where it leads me. With a bit of luck I might, at least, be able to open another thread of enquiry!

Thanks again -  time and thoughts are all really appreciated.
M

guest189040

« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 October 20 16:09 BST (UK) »
It is and will be a hit and miss activity.

If the building still exists then identifying it is not necessarily as easy as one may think.

In a rural case as in my own in an area of rural Herefordshire there is The Sun Inn, it is easy identified by the large Sun relief on one of its gable end walls.  My ancestors lived in a house ten buildings away from the Pub.  The problem lies that the Census listings bear no relationship to what is on the ground.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 October 20 18:19 BST (UK) »
 ;D Horsley 2016 - great to hear you are making progress!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk