Author Topic: wells ayslum  (Read 432 times)

Offline specialspud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wells ayslum
« on: Sunday 27 September 20 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi i'm desperately trying to find any records i can on my great grandmother Florence Coyne maiden name Bending. she was a patient at wells asylum and i know that she was buried in the cemetry there on the 16th of February 1934.
She was born in 1880 in Bideford Devon and was married to a Micheal coyne in ireland.
I have no idea why she was sent to the asylum or how long she was there for.
Would anyone be able to gather any info for me?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: wells ayslum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
It looks as though patients' records are subject to a 100 year closure period, though copies can be provided if you can supply a certificate or other proof of death for someone who died less than 100 years ago.

The records are at Somerset Heritage Centre - these links are to the catalogue entry and the guide to mental health records, which explains how to obtain copies:

https://somerset-cat.swheritage.org.uk/records/D/H/men

https://somerset-cat.swheritage.org.uk/researchGuides/mentalHealth
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
Obituary in the Western Gazette 16 Feb 1934, under the heading Milborne Port there is an obituary for Mrs Florence Emily Coyne "on Friday after a long illness". Wife of Michael Coyne of Newtown at the age of 53 years. "Mrs Coyne leaves a husband, on daughter and three sons"

djm 297

Offline specialspud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
Obituary in the Western Gazette 16 Feb 1934, under the heading Milborne Port there is an obituary for Mrs Florence Emily Coyne "on Friday after a long illness". Wife of Michael Coyne of Newtown at the age of 53 years. "Mrs Coyne leaves a husband, on daughter and three sons"

djm 297
Thank you this sounds like its her.

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 20 18:30 BST (UK) »
I would recommend you contact the Somerset Heritage Centre through the links Arthurk provided and they will be able to advise if they have records about your ancestor.  If they have and if you can provide the documents needed to view a closed record under 100 years old, is possible you may be able to learn more about her health for example about her admission and treatment etc.