Author Topic: Help/advice with research in Germany?  (Read 372 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Help/advice with research in Germany?
« on: Sunday 27 September 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pwn/

I wonder whether anyone more expert in German research can help with the above fascinating thread, where Hollyrobs was trying to find a relative born in 1910 in Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, who was 'given away' to a childless German couple by her father when she was about 15 months old.

The research (which I've summarised in reply #30), seems to have tracked this baby down to Rostock and (possibly) Paderborn in 1960, but any help with further research I know would be of interest to me and Hedwwch as well as Hollyrobs!   ;D ;D ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help/advice with research in Germany?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Don't get excited, no connection, and no help coming.  :'( Sorry. 
But yes, fascinating thread and fantastic detective work done so far.
May I make a couple of observations?

I suspect Theodora's adoption story may be more common than we might think.
Although in the 21st century it seems more than peculiar to give a way a child, from what I have read and understood during my time in family history research, (around 30 years,) it does seem to me, that for most people money was terribly tight, and babies arrived with alarming frequency. Further, it was not unusual that unmarried older daughters provided extra mouths to be fed as well.

Re the twins, historically I too have twins that died after a few weeks in 1895. 
Even now development of twins/multiple births, is more hazardous than singletons, and when I worked in NHS Therapies there was a noticeable prevalence of twins requiring attention. 

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.