Author Topic: Ralph STURGES, Born 1845, Derby  (Read 3329 times)

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ralph STURGES, Born 1845, Derby
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 September 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

Thank you all for your help.   I am extremely grateful.

I must assume that eventually the Army "wrote him off" as a persistent AWOL threat.   Anyway he virtually spent the rest of his life imprisoned, until at least 1891 when I lose sight of him completely.

The one aspect that is confusing concerns the GRO birth reference.    Certainly the personnel are correct.   However, other records, including the Census, insist he was born in Derbyshire not Staffordshire!!!

BAC3

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 September 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
Apparently the British Railways station  serving the area of Ralph's birth is "Tutbury and Hatton" so presumably the two communities are adjacent, possibly on either side of the county boundary.

PS They are on opposite banks of the river Dove.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 September 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
Per the Met's Habitual Offenders Register, he was sentenced (as Richard Ward) to 15 years penal servitude at Surrey Sessions on 6 February 1888 for housebreaking. He must have been released early under licence, as it gives an address for him in April 1900: 29 Brooke Street, Holborn (which was St Giles Christian Mission - a home for discharged prisoners).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 September 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.

Indeed the Census remarks he was born in Doveridge, Derbyshire, which dovetails neatly with the River Dove detail!!

The 1891 Census enumerated him as "Richard WARD", but I failed to discover any further verifiable details for him.....the 1900 reference another avenue for me to explore....!!!  Thank you.

BAC3