Author Topic: 317 cm across 8 segs Ancestry dna match  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
317 cm across 8 segs Ancestry dna match
« on: Sunday 27 September 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am working on a new DNA test for a friend and her closest paternal line match is 317 across 8 segs .
We have no surname to start off with as my friend was adopted. Her mum has also undertaken a test so we are able to separate maternal from paternal matches.
The dna match has a good tree so is a good starting point.
Dna painter and ancestry relationship forecast are 50 %/40% spilt on what the common ancestor may be.
Would you start with the siblings of grandparents or great-grandparents on this one ?
Does anyone have a proven 317 cm relationship on their matches ?
Thank you so much in advance for advice
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 317 cm across 8 segs Ancestry dna match
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 20 17:58 BST (UK) »
I have a confirmed 336cM match. In this case the relationship is 1c2R (first cousin twice removed).

The ancestors I have in common with this match and indeed with her father is my grandparents so purely on that basis i would vote for grandparents.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you David,
Would it make any difference if there was a thirty year age gap between the the two DNA matches ?
The common ancestor would still be a possible sibling of the grandparent of match that's published her tree ?
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 20 19:44 BST (UK) »
I think you would be OK. I say that on the basis that my mother was 16 years younger than her sister (it was the parents of my mother and her sister who are my grandparents and the G G Grandparents of my 1C2R)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 20 23:49 BST (UK) »
My mother has a 336 cm across 9 segments he is 30 years younger than her but they share a grandmother he is a late child of my mother's half uncle .

So I too agree that starting with grandparents is good idea.
But would also look at it being a generation difference too the grandparent of one match could be greatgrandparent of the other

my aunt has a 340 match who shares a set of great grandparents
So it's definitely worth looking into great grandparents too.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 September 20 08:08 BST (UK) »
My 2nd match is 339cM with no paper connection but shared with a confirmed 2C1R. In my case, as this match is my age, the only rational link is as a half1C.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 20 13:15 BST (UK) »
I have matches either side of your 317 who are both First cousins once removed, Both around 20 years older than me. In both cases their grandparents are my great grandparents (different set)

412 cM across 20 segs is my mother's first cousin on her maternal side (born 1933)
248 cM across 14 segs is my father's first cousin on his maternal side (born 1934)

My highest match is also a first cousin once removed, but she is the daughter of my first cousin. My grandparents are her great grandparents. Match is 546 cM across 16 segments.

OH has 1st cousin at 672 /29  (maternal side)
1C1R at 408/15 (paternal side - daughter of 1st cousin)
2nd cousin at 340/ 13 (maternal side)

Quite a variation

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

guest189040

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 October 20 13:11 BST (UK) »
I have a 364 cM match and try as I may I was not able to find a link so I took another tack.

The person concerned has Shared Matches with me and four others (all over 100 cM) and they in turn are Shared with me and her.

So I created a Floating Branch and after a lot of effort i created branches between these five, but alas not yet have I linked this Floating Branch to my main tree.

Now my Grandparents were each from very different regions of the UK and the above relate to my Maternal Grandfather’s area of birth.  The issue being that at 18 he emigrated to Canada only returning once in 1915 which was after the birth of quite a few of the people in the Floating Branch, I did think that he may have had liaison on his return but maybe it was before he emigrated, if indeed he was the culprit.

Hence if you look at your Shared Matches this in turn may help you.

EDIT
I forgot to include in the above that there is the feature of adding a Note to a DNA match and I use this where I have created a Floating Branch.  The added Note states Floating Branch and shows in the DNA match listing thus I can easily see which matches have had a Floating Branch created around them. 

I do not do this out of any efficient working system but out of creating more than one Floating Branch for the same person.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 October 20 13:42 BST (UK) »
I have a 364 cM match and try as I may I was not able to find a link so I took another tack.

The person concerned has Shared Matches with me and four others (all over 100 cM) and they in turn are Shared with me and her.

So I created a Floating Branch and after a lot of effort i created branches between these five, but alas not yet have I linked this Floating Branch to my main tree.

Now my Grandparents were each from very different regions of the UK and the above relate to my Maternal Grandfather’s area of birth.  The issue being that at 18 he emigrated to Canada only returning once in 1915 which was after the birth of quite a few of the people in the Floating Branch, I did think that he may have had liaison on his return but maybe it was before he emigrated, if indeed he was the culprit.

Hence if you look at your Shared Matches this in turn may help you.

Great advice, Biggles, and also can I congratulate you on your term 'floating branch'.
I too have some of these, which stubbornly refuse to connect to my main tree, but I live in hope of my research finally attaching them. 
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex