Author Topic: Diary - Sunday, 27 September 2020  (Read 925 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday, 27 September 2020
« on: Sunday 27 September 20 19:13 BST (UK) »
Just popping in as I am waiting at the Newcastle bus station en route to nightshift.  It is quite busy here and I can hear a lot of chattering voices.  It is very cold so I am well wrapped up with a thermal hat and scarf on as well.   Hope the next bus connection won't be too long - it is sooo cold!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday, 27 September 2020
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
Weather here has been a bit wintry today, usually pretty much the same as yours RTL, daytime forecast tomorrow is 16 degrees so hopefully your return journey isn't so cold. Hope your shift goes well tonight
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
Another grey day and proper chilly. Got up quite early (for me). Couldn't tear myself away from the book I was reading, Coffin Road by Peter May. Excellent.

Went out for walk, the wind had dropped a lot but it was still cold. Enjoyed the walk, quite refreshing. Back home, put some washing in, did bits of housework, had lunch. Had a look online for sweatshirts and hoodies but didn't order anything so far. Finished my book. Touched up some of the paint in the hallway, it always gets scuffed. Did some ironing while watching A Place in the Sun, nearest I'll get to it this year.

Heated some cooked chicken in gravy for tea, did some roasties, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, broad beans and Yorkshire puds. Nice hot dinner on a cold day.

Forecast quite a bit warmer tomorrow thank goodness, maybe I'll get some gardening done.

Hope it's been a decent day for everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 20 00:16 BST (UK) »
 Brrrrr..... I’m thinking if you RTL  sitting in a drafty bus station  and hoping your connection arrived quickly... hope it’s better for you in the morning.

My Roobarb well done for braving the chilly weather to go out for a walk! Always good to get indoor chores done too...

It was quite sunny this morning and windy so decided to put some washing on ...
After breakfast sat and read the Sunday papers For a while... article about the return if Spitting Images...always thought the first series were very good... sadly this ones going to be on britbox and you need a sub for it.... pity...
Decided to have a vacuum round and clean the bathrooms.... empty bins etc ....all exciting stuff...
After lunch went to do some sewing for a while...
oH out mowing back lawns and using his new hedge trimmer to deal with the yew hedge at the top of the garden... sliced through it all like butter in no time... had a tidy up picked more raspberries and leeks... he’s planted out winter cabbage...
Off he went to the skip to get rid of garden rubbish...
Finished of next three tops...
heard hammering and shouting realised it was OH.. I’d locked/chained all doors and he couldn’t get in... or make me hear as the centre of the doorbell has disappeared... he found the spring but not the pusher bit... Hard to find little brass bit on gravel!... much muttering as it’s all wired in and been there since 1992....
Dinner was roast chicken, pots, leeks, stuffing and green vegs and gravy... very nice on a chilly evening...
Watched The big dig with Alice Roberts about grave yards in London and Birmingham on HS2 line... following some Peoples story lines... think might have seen it before or maybe that was the plague pits from Crossrail... fascinating what they find...
Did some knitting... sewed up little cardi and started another little blanket...
Shopping day tomorrow morning so up and out early...
Pretty mundane day really... nice to get in the garden for a while despite the wind..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 September 20 00:56 BST (UK) »
Been away visiting my son P. He's not doing too well despite what he posts to his mate's on FB.
It was hard watching him having Chemo and everything that goes with.
 On Saturday we were told he had fluid on his left lung and temperatures over 41C. All Window's open and fan's going to try and get his temp down so he could have a Blood Transfusion. He shaved his head last nite after I had left.
Yesterday I spent time with 2 of my grandchildren Miss 8 and Master 4. Ending up going to the toy shop and giving the credit card a thumping.
My op was cancelled last minute which meant I could go and see P. Got home to find I now have my op on the  6th October.
We are so lucky here as we are in Level one so am able to go and see P without too many restrictions. He is an hour and a half away.
Stay safe, stay strong
Carol
P.S. Rain yesterday so similar weather to the U.K.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 September 20 08:34 BST (UK) »
With the current restrictions and all the other matters we have had to contend with, our plans for a Golden celebration (12th Sept) were dashed. But no matter; yesterday our church (the one we were married in and have attended ever since) was open  for limited numbers. It was Harvest Festival (without the usual decorations), no singing, except perhaps quietly to oneself. We had arranged that a slot be provided for us to renew our wedding vows, and although there were only 20 people present it was such a meaningful occasion.
The plans are for it to be open for worship on the last Sunday in each month until things become clearer; as with most other places there are arrangements for "Zoom" services but I am still a dinosaur in these matters and have not yet ventured into Zoom.

The weather was lovely all day, with what we usually describe as an Australian Sky- blue skies and wall to wall sunshine, but with a definite nip in the air.

Picked the last of the tomatoes from the greenhouse and cleared the plants out for the green bin man today.

Everything seems at slow motion at the moment as we face the last hurdle on Friday, Nick's funeral.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 September 20 08:44 BST (UK) »
A bitter sweet weekend for Jeff and Carol while most of us just plod on as usual.
Sending Love to All.  :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 September 20 09:21 BST (UK) »
Jeff and Mrs.Jeff, we will be thinking of you, very much ,on Friday especially.

Someone said to me after my husband of 58 years died.
“ Which would you rather have, this grief now or never having known him
so you would not be grieving now.?”
I thought it a stupid question ,but saw the point , after a big think.
Trouble is ,appreciating the plus points only makes the now minus points harder to bear.
.Minus being he is no longer here of course.
But yes, I would not have missed the 61 years I knew him for anything .
Doesn’t help much does it.
Let us know ,if you feel able to share something so private ,the flowers, service,,hymns and so forth.
And thank you in advance .
Many congratulations on your special anniversary.
We missed our Diamond by two years ,I had it all planned , but not to be.
But as I often say, I would do it all again .
Kindest regards at a very sad time for you both and your family.

Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 September 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
My church has been open for a few weeks even though they are still zooming to the vulnerable, have to book each week, yesterday was the AGM,  not everyone stayed so I decided after the service to move so that I could hear, got a real telling off by the church warden even though someone else had done the exact same thing, so I slunk back to my seat, apparently no one must sit in anyone else's seat
Next week services back to normal times, 09.15 which suites me better

My husband just does not celebrate anniversaries, grieves me to be honest but I just have to get on with it

Jeff, will be thinking of you on Friday, difficult times

Take care, stay safe

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London