Author Topic: Searching for Merchant Navy Records 1939-1951 & beyond, Liverpool  (Read 421 times)

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Merchant Navy Records 1939-1951 & beyond, Liverpool
« on: Monday 28 September 20 07:31 BST (UK) »
I am looking for an Andrew Cannon who was born in Bootle, Jan. 1910. He was a crew member in the Merchant Navy which is verified on death and birth certificates for his wife and children as well as the 1939 census.
I am a member of Ancestry, the site has found one crew list record dated 1941 for Andrew Cannon. I would like to know if Merchant Navy crew lists can be accessed anywhere else?
The 1939 Census proves he was in the Merchant Navy, he was still in the Merchant Navy in 1946 and 1948 as his profession is recorded on the birth certs. for his last 2 sons. The final record of Andrew as a Merchant Navy Crew member was on the death cert. for his wife in 1951.
Can any rootschatters help, all information about the Merchant Navy from 1939 onwards will be appreciated, if anyone can direct me to Merchant Navy Crew lists - that would be perfect - look forward to replies, Geraldine96     

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Merchant Navy Records 1939-1951 & beyond, Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 September 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
The 1939 Census proves he was in the Merchant Navy, he was still in the Merchant Navy in 1946 and 1948 as his profession is recorded on the birth certs. for his last 2 sons.

??? There wasn't a census in 1939?

I think you may have been looking at the 1939 National Register.
It wasn't a census because it was continually updated, by the NHS, until the 1990's.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thankyou shaunj and kgarrard, the info. giving the names of ships for merchant seaman Andrew Cannon will be a great help especially the more recent Merchant Navy posting (1952). With ship names I may be able to track down other records.

i always consider the 1939 Reg. as a Census but since you have pointed out my error, i took the trouble to google it and read the Nat. Archives information and gathered yet more useful facts - you certainly learn a lot by getting things wrong   

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 09:29 BST (UK) »
The best way to find out his service is not to trawl through crew lists but to obtain his CRS 10 - service record from Jan, 1941 until leaving the service. You can of course then use Crew Agreements from the Nat Archives to verify if required. His CRS 10 should be held at Kew in piece BT 382/278.
The file is best obtained by visit to Kew or via a researcher.
Regards
Hugh 
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
OK thankyou hmac, I have read your reply and i'm feeling hopeful again. Yesterday I checked the information re: researching crew lists at the Maritime Museum Greenwich but it seemed far too complicated, even navigating my way through their site was a bit of a head ache. 
Your solution sounds manageable and it's about time I visited the Nat Archives. Thanks Geraldine96