Author Topic: Is Normans father really William Strickland??  (Read 899 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is Normans father really William Strickland??
« on: Monday 28 September 20 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, i hope ive posted in correct place, im normaly posting in England boards.. but my post is Canadian.

My Gt Aunt Elsie Peaker, came to Canada as a Barnardo's Child in 1912, we know she had Norman Hubert Peaker 20th March 1918. and Elsie married Charles Daniel Crawley in 1920 Niagra Falls, and Charles adopted Norman as his own. however we never knew who his real dad was .....
however a few years ago my cousin ( Normans grandaughter ) found a newspaper clipping saying

Barnardos Girl Sues
Alleging promise to marry , Elsie Peaker a ward of DR Barnardos homes of Toronto has issued a writ at Osgooda Hall against William Strickland of Markham. A co - Plaintiff is A B Owen an agent for Barnardos homes.

Dont know what newspaper or date this is from as its just  a clipping.
now ive just come accross a hint on my tree for the New York Presbyterian church records where although it says William Crawley and Elsie Crawley son Norman John Crawley, on transcript,but just William & Elsie Crawley on image,  now this is the correct birth, and Elsie Married Charles crawley in 6th March 1920 the baptism is 11 June 1920.

Is /could William Strickland be his father ? how to find the correct William Strickland and would there be any more write up on the Sue case?

Any help greatly appriciated

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is Normans father really William Strickland??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Toronto Star, 4 July 1918, page 2

RK

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 01:27 BST (UK) »
the Toronto City Directories are here:
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/history-genealogy/lh-digital-city-directories.jsp
The Canadian Censuses are here:
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

There is a Wm Strickland in the 1918, 1919, 1922 city directory but the 1921 Census says he was 76. He was working and living at the Asylum which was not in Markham.
There is another Wm Strickland in the area in 1921, a 37 year old painter at 23 Gledhill St, but that address isn't in Markham, as far as I can tell. He isn't in the directories I looked at.

I don't know enough about Toronto to know if Markham would be included in the Toronto directory. It isn't mentioned on image 12 of the 1918 directory as one of the cities in the book.
There are other Ontario City Directories available here
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/history-genealogy/lh-digital-ontario-city-directories.jsp

but you would have to know more about Ontario than I do to tell if Markham was included in any of them. It wasn't one of the locations listed on the title page of any directory.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 07:08 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for this.

is the canadian newspapers free to search ?

im in England so really dont know Canada districts/areas at all.

i know Elsie was at Hazelbrea according to her Barnardos records again dont know how far away from Markham etc.

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
Most newspapers are on subscription sites.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
Yes...subscription, or through a Canadian library. 

I have had a look to see if the result of the breach of promise case was published in a Toronto newspaper.  I have not been able to find anything else relating to the case - only the notice about the suit being initiated (Toronto Star, 4 July 1918). 

Markham is north of the City of Toronto.  It is not part of the City of Toronto, though it is currently part of the "Greater Toronto Area".   It was quite separate from the City of Toronto in 1918.   Perhaps you could contact the Markham library to see if they have any old Markham directories, and whether they could search for a William Strickland in 1918. 

Hazelbrae was in Peterborough, Ontario. 
http://britishhomechild.com/barnardos-hazelbrae-receiving-home-in-peterborough-on-and-senator-george-cox/

You say that you have the Barnardo's records.  Was Elsie working/living with a family in the Toronto or Markham area?  Can you account for her whereabouts between her arrival in 1912 and the baby being born in March 1918??

RK

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 20:24 BST (UK) »
The Barnardos records dont give much information once Elsie arrived in Canada, doesnt tell us where she went to after arriving in Canada We have the info from NSPCC on how the father had asked them to look after all children, but just took Elsie in, gives details of family members addressess and then when Elsie was sent to March, Cambridge then returned to Stepney before been sent to Canada, then its  just a few lines of notes saying letter home, letter to friend, correspondance from grandmother , and then the last line it gives date 21 .3,19 corrispondance comes from stepney saying nothing has heard of her since Dec 1917.

we only knew about her been at Hazelbrea when the 1st BHC day was annouced and someone contacted us regarding the memorial with her name on, who sent me a photo of the memorial showing Elsies name.

Weenie

guest189040

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
Website dedicated to the British Home Children.

https://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/