Author Topic: Elsie Crawley and family in any census ??  (Read 608 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elsie Crawley and family in any census ??
« on: Monday 28 September 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi why can i find no census records for My Elsie Crawley b 1900 Leeds England,  husband Charles Crawley b1885 Ontario and son Norman Hubert John Crawley b 1918 Ontario

Elsie was born Peaker,  her son was born out of wedlock to William and was born / Known as Hubert Peaker but Charles took him on and he was baptised Norman John Crawley in 11 June 1920

i cant seem to find any Canadian records for them .. i have border crossings, canada voters lists, passenger lists and Elsie UK records. i also have 1930 and 1940 US censusfor Norman

any help appreciated Thanks 

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie Crawley and family in any census ??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
If Elsie only arrived in Canada in 1912 she would have missed the 1911 Canada census.

It appears that she and Hubert crossed the border to Niagara Falls New York in March 1920. So she would also have missed the 1920 US census as it seems to have been taken in January that year.

Was she back in Canada in 1921? I don't see her in the 1921 Canada census at the moment. This would be the latest available census for Canada.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 September 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
I dont know if she was in US or Canada, niether seem to be easy. there seems to be a few border crossings, and she does appear on 30 us census but lived in Canada up to her death
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
I'm just a bit confused.

I see an original birth of Norman John Crawley 20 Mar 1918 son of William and Elsie Crawley recorded in the Pierce Ave Presbyterian Church of Niagara Falls New York.  So in my tiny little mind his father William was a Crawley.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 September 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
No i posted earlier regarding the baptism 11 June 1920.
you see Elsie was a British home child, and came to Canada in 1912, her son was born as Hubert Peaker. unknown father born 20 March 1918.
6th March Hubert Peaker and mum Elsie border cross to Niagra Falls - the same day Elsie Marries Charles Daniel Crawley
then 11 June 1920 the baptsim of Norman John Crawley has taken place - im presuming this to change his name etc as he then is known as Norman John Crawley !
Then i have 1920 for Elsie as a waitress in Niagra on US directories
i then have Norman Crawley lodging on 1930 census in Niagra with Charles Crawley and baby sister Norinne stating Charles as divorced
Then for Norman J Crawley on 1940s US census in Reformitory
1942 Norman J Crawley married Doretta Place in Canada and in 1945 border crossings with wife Doretta from Canada to Niagra falls ,

Then in 1947 another border crossing but on the card of Norman John Crawley it says see Hubert Peaker then another in Hubert Peaker with new wife Geneivie and states presents birth certificate of Hubert Peaker but known as step fathers names Norman John Crawley , then mentiones canadian Army and allowed to pass through.

Then same in 1949 as Hubert Peaker to visit father in law and Norman George Crawley. thats it for actual records , but he also has an child to a british girl whilst in England during WW2

then Norman dies in Alberta Canada in 1984.

like i said previous that Elsie tried to Sue William Strickland for promise of Marriage - i dont know date of newspaper clipping or what paper it was in or the outcome.
i do know that Elsie had a hard time as British home child life was not what was promised to her, through my father and uncles memory and also her gt grandaughters.

i do think that Elsie had Hubert/Norman baptised 3 months after marrying Charles - whether alone or not ?? and put his real dads name down and as she was married the register person presumed Crawley was William name as it doesnt actually put his surname - i know in england only fathers name can go down if fathers not present is  if the woman is married.

ihope i havent confused you more, its one of our major brick walls we would like to actually breakdown.

thankyou weenie

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 07:09 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada