Author Topic: Newspaper/Journal 1913  (Read 785 times)

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Newspaper/Journal 1913
« on: Tuesday 29 September 20 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'll explain my issue.
In a handwritten letter written by a family member from Bridport in September 1913 to the family in Australia regarding their sons.
In this letter, the author mentions how the boys (Yencken brothers) who have been playing tennis in the local tournament.
She mentions that they were described as 'the find of the season and most promising young tennis players' this was spoken of in the D 7 or possibly D T as the letter is handwritten it is difficult to confirm the second digit. It is definitely a capital D.

I'm thinking this might be a local newspaper or journal but struggling to find where is is written.

Thank you for your suggestions of what it might be and where I should search.

Aussie Researcher

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper/Journal 1913
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 01:56 BST (UK) »
There are lots of tennis scores in newspapers including in August the Sheffield Daily Telegraph.
There are none in that paper in September.
It is the only one I can see that comes close to those initials.  But I couldn’t see any thing other than scores that mentioned Yencken.

I wonder if D.T. Is actually The Daily Telegraph.  If so, I cannot see where that is online.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 03:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks Mckha489,
I was seeing the same thing hence my question.
Just thought I might have been missing something.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 05:43 BST (UK) »
I wonder if D.T. would mean an article in perhaps  Dorset Tennis  ... if such a magazine or journal existed.  I think you will find at least  one Yencken lad in the main draw of the Wimbledon 1914 Mens Singles. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 06:06 BST (UK) »
That's a great thought I didn't think of Dorset Tennis, there must have been a local club.
Now to find out where etc.
The 2 Yencken brothers (Arthur and Edward) were both good tennis players.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at the Daily Telegraph tennis reports for the summer of 1913. While their results appear in about a dozen or so editions I cannot see them mentioned/singled out in the summary of the day's play that preceded these results.
I did notice that the Dorset County Championships opened on 2 Sep but "E.D. and A.F." were appearing in the Sussex County Championships the same day.

The Daily Telegraph, Mar 16 1914
CAMBRIDGE v COVERED COURTS CLUB
In an article about how "... doubles play had been developed at the expense of singles ..."

"Messrs Crisp and H C Eltringham (the Cambridge pair that represented England against Ireland last year) won two matches and Messrs E D Yencken and A F Yencken (a very promising Australian pair) and Miss A H Turner and B R Laurence won one match each".

A non tennis item appeared in the Daily Telegraph, Jan 3st 1914, where E D Yencken, appearing in an inter Cambridge colleges athletic meeting, won the hammer with a throw of 92ft 9 inches for Corpus Christi.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks hanes teulu,

The letter was dated 18th September 1913 so maybe it is relation to their time at Sussex County Championships?
More confusion,

I knew of the 1914 events etc.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
The Sussex tournament apart, pre 18th Sep I can see the pair at Buxton (15 Aug). "E.D" only is named at tournaments in Epsom (10 July) and Eastbourne (9 Sep) - both singles and doubles.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 02:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

I'm still none the wiser but will keep on the hunt.
I did find a photo of Edward in the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News, 13th September 1913.
So that was great.

Thanks again
Aussie Researcher