Author Topic: New to ordering Irish Certificates  (Read 1091 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New to ordering Irish Certificates
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 12:43 BST (UK) »
No problem  :)

The marriage of Richard and Kathleen (Katherine) is quite interesting- his father 'Clerk in Holy Orders' (likely a COI Rector) and her father an architect-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1866/11539/8243949.pdf

Southern Reporter and Cork Commercial Courier, 31 May 1866: MARRIED, on the 30th inst., at Holy Trinity Church, by the Rev. _ Macnamara, Richard Carey, Eaq., Manager of Munster Bank, Kilmallock, to Kathleen Elizabeth, youngest daughter of the late William Hill, Esq., architect.

Skibbereen & West Carbery Eagle, 20 Oct.1866: On Thursday last the Skibbeieen Branch of the Munster Bank was opened, under the management of Richard Carey, Esq. The offices have been neatly erected in the house lately occupied by Mr. _, by Mr. Lee, C.E., from plans drawn out by ...
Note: it was common practice for bank managers, as with policemen, not to work in their native district or that of their wife.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 12:48 BST (UK) »
Something else to read in case you haven't come across it before-
https://niallbrn.wordpress.com/2017/09/05/carey-family-of-careysville-co-cork/

Warning: there are several Rev. Richard Hills in the above document. This is the correct one-

Rev. Richard Carey
Richard Carey was another son of Peter and Anne Carey of Careysville. He took holy orders and was made a deacon in 1818 and a priest at Cloyne in 1819.[81] He later served as was a vicar in Skibbereen. About 1835 he married Elizabeth, daughter of John Labarte and was the father of Richard Carey.[82] Many years before, on 1st June 1789 John Labarte of Cork city had married Miss Crowley of Cork city at Careysville, the home of Peter Carey, esq.[83]

Richard Carey
Richard Carey son of Rev. Richard Carey was born in 1838 and was educated at Fermoy College. He became manager of the Munster and Leinster Bank at Skibbereen. In 1866 Ricard Carey married Kathleen Hill, daughter of William Hill. Richard Carey was the father of six sons Langer, William, Henry, Sidney, Arthur, and Edward.[84] Richard Carey was also the father of two daughters, Kathleen and Ethel (or Elizabeth and Sarah as another source has it).[85]

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
Blimey wow no i havent , i havent a clue with irish research , all this is so new to me, cant thankyou enough for looking , i so appriciate it

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
There is SO MUCH online (vital records, Will extracts, newspaper articles, etc.) on this family that you will soon be overwhelmed and totally confused. Suggest keeping some sort of rough family tree on a bit of paper in front of you or some sytem to keep track of everyone.

Offline Chelle71

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
Yes i am doing .....