Author Topic: Just a quick question  (Read 1278 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Just a quick question
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 13:59 BST (UK) »
Please don't take this as definite, but my understanding is (subject to my note at the end):

(a) a bubble can consist of people from no more than two households (see the link given by Mark in Reply #7)

(b) when people are in a bubble, they are treated as if they are one household, so they can meet with someone from another household, as Gaie says. In fact people from multiple households can meet anyway so long as there are no more than 6 of them and they maintain social distancing. See Section 2 on this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing#seeing-friends-and-family

Note: this is my understanding as of today, and it applies to England except for places which are subject to stricter local measures. Local measures typically ban meetings between people from different households on private property (indoors or out) and advise against meeting in pubs, restaurants etc, but the latest ones in the north-east of England ban make it illegal for different households to meet under any circumstances (other than within a bubble).

EDITED TO ADD (after Reply #10 was posted):
Some of what I wrote here might not be correct - see my Reply #11.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Please don't take this as definite, but my understanding is (subject to my note at the end):

(a) a bubble can consist of people from no more than two households (see the link given by Mark in Reply #7)

(b) when people are in a bubble, they are treated as if they are one household, so they can meet with someone from another household, as Gaie says. In fact people from multiple households can meet anyway so long as there are no more than 6 of them and they maintain social distancing. See Section 2 on this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing#seeing-friends-and-family

Note: this is my understanding as of today, and it applies to England except for places which are subject to stricter local measures. Local measures typically ban meetings between people from different households on private property (indoors or out) and advise against meeting in pubs, restaurants etc, but the latest ones in the north-east of England ban make it illegal for different households to meet under any circumstances (other than within a bubble).

My word the English Law and English Guidance looks contradictory?

I think the Poster ought to ask the Local Authority Public Health by email of the area where you intend to meet as to how they'll apply this Law and get your answer by email (or in writing) from them.

Mark

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
In view of news items which I've seen since I wrote Reply #9, I think I might have been wrong about some things. Does anyone know where you can get clear and definitive guidance?
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gaie. My question was a much as anything an expression of exasperation - given that government ministers at all levels also seem to have difficulty understanding what is permitted and where.

What I think I got wrong last time was about households mixing in the north east of England. Having read your links, it appears that they will not be allowed to meet in any indoor situation, or in a private garden; and although it's not illegal, they are advised not to meet in public outdoor places either. (This is all subject to the rule of six and social distancing.)

This is different from the restrictions in most of Greater Manchester, where households may still meet in public indoor venues, though again they are advised not to.

With different rules in different parts of the country, is it any wonder that people get confused? A family member who lives in Greater Manchester told us recently about the poor levels of compliance in their area, and that there were some people who didn't realise they lived in Greater Manchester. So how do you even begin to get people to follow the rules and advice?

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 16:00 BST (UK) »

Added:  For areas under local special restrictions see here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/local-restrictions-areas-with-an-outbreak-of-coronavirus-covid-19

This was last updated on 20th September so does not encompass the latest restrictions imposed here in the north-east.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 16:04 BST (UK) »

Added:  For areas under local special restrictions see here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/local-restrictions-areas-with-an-outbreak-of-coronavirus-covid-19

This was last updated on 20th September so does not encompass the latest restrictions imposed here in the north-east.

But I see scrolling down the north east restrictions are listed here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/north-east-of-england-local-restrictions
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
They don't make it easy, do they?

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
To go back to the original question, assuming you are still within an area of England with more severe restrictions (an ever-changing list), and reading from your question that you are going to the house of one of you, then this is OK. You can meet up indoors with up to six people from (up to six) households.
You can even have your meal at the pub, as long as your group of (up to) six does not mingle in any way with any other group of (up to) 6 that happen to be there (even if some of that group are from your household.
Obviously, if you are outside of England, or within an area with more expansive rules/lockdown, the above does not apply.
Also, this is as of now (16:30 on 30/9/20). Give it five minutes, that may have changed  ;D