Author Topic: 1891 Census, Whitland, Carmarthen or Missing from Ancestry?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Census, Whitland, Carmarthen or Missing from Ancestry?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 12:42 BST (UK) »
Maybe   Lizzie Harries
Registration Year:   1876
Registration Quarter:   Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration District:   Swansea

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
In 1891, I would say that Lizzie is living at home with her widowed mother Ann Thomas, (nee Humphrey, widow of John Sylvanus Thomas, overseer for Clase) at Woodfield street Morriston. Lizzie married Isaac Newton Rees in Dec 1900 in Swansea and in 1911 she was back at home with her mother with a daughter Beryl born Whitland (no age given), at 2 Stapleton Place Morriston, The census has Lizzie and Beryl as niece, with an additional penciled comment underneath of daughter and grandchild and no age given or Beryl who is referred to as baby by enumerator.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you one and all!

Sam: Thank you indeed.  I now have a complete set of censuses for Isaac Newton Rees, subject to challenges from others.  A superb find.

I've built up quite a lot of newspaper articles for Isaac Newton Rees, one of which has already been posted to his profile on Ancestry (see 'Humphrey Family Tree') a few days ago. My guess is that he could have been acting then, as what today we call a Travel Agents Concession at The Emporium.

Other responses: In so far as Elizabeth Thomas/ Elizabeth Rees (1874-1914) is concerned, I am fully aware of the possibilities of clashing names and individuals which is why I'm progressing somewhat cautiously with researching the Humphrey Family Tree.  In so far s Elizabeth is concerned if you connect to: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/216156245/elizabeth-rees {Free to access website} you might find the Bio to be of interest.

I am open to observations and constructive criticism from others but thankfully, so far there have been none and I am also intrigued at the speed and content of the replies so far, for which I thank you all.

Thank you, JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi JohnG

Just read the Bio on the find a grave site. Not sure where you got the date of death from, but I have a newspaper article from Western Mail 24 December 1938, page 1: On 23 December 1938 at 3 Colindeep gardens Hendon, N.W.4, Elizabeth, wife of the late Isaac Newton Rees of Whitland. Funeral at Zoar, Whitland, on Wednesday December 26 at 2.45

Sam

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
Sorry meant to also post the ree BMD death registration, which shows age is right

Deaths Dec 1938 
REES    Elizabeth    64    Hendon    3a   583

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sam,

I think my evening has just been cancelled!

I'll sort it first and wonder what went wrong afterwards.

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry JohnG to give you a headache, it can all get a bit confusing sometimes and so easy to make a mistake. Not many places you can go now anyway with local lockdowns in South Wales. I wonder whose burial you mean when you say there's no online record!

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam,
I don’t mind the to’ing and fro’ing as it is IMHO a very good way of breaking through Brick Walls as you indeed did a few hours ago.  Long may this support by others continue.

I have no direct link to the Humphrey family, I simply live within a mile or so of where their family grave is located.  When one thinks that the John Humphrey at the head of the tree started off life as the son of a coal miner and finished off as the designer of and supervised the building of three Victorian schools here in Swansea, along with similarly designing and building “Morriston Tabernacle” and a string of other chapels across Swansea and west Wales; He did incredibly well. I feel I have it within my gift to commit to paper a little extra to the history of the man.

As for the death and burial of either/ both Elizabeth (Thomas) Rees and her husband Isaac Newton Rees anyone who offers constructive help, is welcome at my door.
    With Isaac N. Rees, a week or so ago I saw a hint of his death and burial, I captured the details of his death, but the details of his burial went 'walk about' and so far I hadn’t re-discovered that hint.  I’m not going to lose your hint this time!

As for Elizabeth  (Thomas) Rees, which is a series of rather popular names here in Wales and runs the risk of being accepted too easily and I could well have tripped up on that one, so if your hint leads to a more credible outcome all the better, all round.
For which I thank you, JohnG_Swansea