Author Topic: Ethel Louisa Carroll  (Read 859 times)

Offline signseekers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ethel Louisa Carroll
« on: Tuesday 29 September 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
I am researching Ethel Louisa Carroll. She is proving to be a mystery.
She was born in 1912 in London to a James Carroll and a Lucy Annie Babbs. She had two siblings James Carroll born 1905 and Frank Carroll born 1908.
I cannot find any record of her apart from a death record in 1938 in Marlborough of a Ethel Louisa Carroll dying aged 25.
Two things puzzle me - mainly Ethel Louisa was never mentioned by my uncles James and  Frank.  My uncles loved talking about their family but never once in our family tree discussions  id they ever mention having a sister. I knew my uncles Frank and  James very well so was very surprised after  they died when researching their family tree to find that they had a sister.
Secondly the other thing that puzzles me is the death of Ethel Louisa in Marlborough. I have sent for the death certificate as I am not sure that this is our Ethel Louisa. The dates fit with her age and I cannot find any other records for her. I am puzzled that if she is our Ethel Louisa why wasn't she spoken about or acknowledged by my uncles when they were alive and why was she in Wiltshire - a long way from Bermondsey , London and the rest of her family. I am wondering if she was in service  but then why was she not mentioned at all by the family. Or maybe she was put in an institution in Wiltshire when she was young - maybe this is why she wasn't spoken about. Sorry to ramble but these are just my thoughts.
I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction of what to do next. I am not even sure  that when the death certificate arrives it will be able to confirm that she was indeed the Ethel Louisa I am looking for. Any advice appreciated.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Louisa Carroll
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 16:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

If there was anything wrong with her at birth and she never went home but remained in an institution then maybe she was never mentioned to her siblings, these things did happen  :'(

There is this, I wonder if it was relevant 
Lancashire Evening Post 21 May 1937
A girl found in Southend on Wednesday night, apparently suffering from loss of memory has been identified as Ethel Carol (24) of Crown Street, Tidal Basin, London E

Ignore that, she is Ethel Currall and still alive in 1939 at that address

It looks to me as though you really need to wait for that death certificate.  ;D.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 20:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

Did father James die in 1930? If so, do you have his will and does he mention any of his children in it?

GRO references:
1930 Q2 Death: James Carroll; age 63 (born c1867); Camberwell; vol 01D; page 654

Probate index:
James Carroll (the elder)
of 29 Albury Buildings Bayfield Street Blackfriars Surrey
died 16 Jun 1950
at 72a East Dulwich Grove East Dulwich Surrey
Probate
to James Carroll, clerk
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=carroll&yearOfDeath=1930#calendar

Electoral registers:
1928 - 29 Albury Buildings Boyfield Street, Southwark - James Carroll snr, James Carroll jnr
1929 - 29 Albury Buildings Boyfield Street, Southwark - James Carroll snr, James Carroll jnr
1931-1937 - 29 Albury Buildings Boyfield Street, Southwark - James Carroll, Frank Carroll
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline signseekers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the information and help. The death certificate for Ethel Louisa should be with me in a couple of days so I will get back on the forum once I have received it. I had not found the probate for James Carroll before so thank you.

Offline signseekers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 12:14 BST (UK) »
Just received the death certificate for Ethel Louisa Carroll. Mystery solved although I still do not understand why my two uncles never mentioned that they had a sister.
Death certificate said that she was in service at Stark or Starch? House in Lambourne. She had a burst appendix and died in Savernake Hospital. The death certificate confirmed that Ethel Louisa Carroll was indeed the sister of James Carroll who registered the death. it also confirmed that her deceased father James Carroll was a Tailor.

Now am looking for the house where she was in service  Stark? House Lambourne.

Thank you for your help on this - mystery solved. :)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 13:33 BST (UK) »
Was that Lambourn, Berkshire? If so, it may be Stork House.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.50912&lon=-1.53637&layers=168&b=8
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline signseekers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you...yes it appears to be Stork House. Will try to find references to it on the census and see if there is any history on the house.
Looked at a present day map and it appears to have been demolished.
Thank you so much for working out it was Stork House.😊

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 16:09 BST (UK) »
Lambourn was and still is well connected to training Race Horses.

So far, had a look at the 1911 Summary Books on Ancestry

Berkshire
Lambourne
District 04

Baydon Road, Lambourn
Stork House - Racing Estbnt

Mr YOUNG,  occupants: 2 males  - 4 females  - total 6

Offline signseekers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this info. You have been so helpful.