Author Topic: George Holmes of Huttons Ambo, York  (Read 747 times)

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Holmes of Huttons Ambo, York
« on: Tuesday 29 September 20 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have some details on the above person, who was christened 1/9/1794 in Huttons Ambo...I believe he had at least four older siblings, William being the eldest, born 1783.
  I have hit a problem with George's parents, who I have as William and Elizabeth, (nee Tindall/
 Tindale ?)  There are several William Holmes, with several different wives, but none of the dates seem to fit, and several Elizabeth Tindalls with different husbands, again pairing the dates does not look correct.  Could anyone assist please ?, thank you.
   The villages of Crambe and Malton crop up, but these could be red herrings.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Holmes of Huttons Ambo, York
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 20 08:18 BST (UK) »
George Holmes is in almost 30 trees on Ancestry.  Have you had a look at them to see if there are any useful pointers, or tried to contact any of the tree owners?

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 20 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
  Yes, just had a browse through the William Holmes trees.....not a lot wiser. There seems to be several lines of enquiry, William baptised 4/12/1750, or some show born 1770, with nothing to confirm this, and with Elizabeth his wife, we have a split between born 1761 in Malton or born 1771 in Bossall. daughter of James and Grace.   Then you can have a choice of Elizabeth Tindall marrying William Lapish in Malton 24/2/1781, which is more likely to be the 1761 birth, or Elizabeth Tindall marring William Holmes in 1790 in Crambe, which looks better with the Elizabeth born in 1771. This would make her appx 19 and William appx 40. Possible, also William could have married before ? or it could be that there is another William Holmes somewhere. 
  The trees on Ancestry are not very helpful, so if you have access to any information that has so far not come to light, I would be very pleased to hear from you.
  Thanks

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 20 16:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no, not related, just thought worth pointing out to you the trees, as someone might have something useful.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 October 20 16:49 BST (UK) »
Where and when were William and Elizabeth buried
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
  Apologies for delay responding,... I honestly don't know when or where William or Elizabeth were buried. There are several trees on Ancestry, all with conflicting entries.
 William could have ben born 1750, in Crambe, Yorkshire, son of Matthew, or 1770 ?, he could have married Elizabeth Tindall in 1790, then again Elizabeth could have been born in 1761, Malton or 1771 in Bossall, Yorks.  If I have my facts correct, George Holmes, the focal point of this enquiry, was born in Huttons Ambo in 1794, and had older siblings also born there in 1783,William, 1785 John, 1787 Catherine, and 1789 Samuel....these would seem to point to the parents being married appx 1780/1783 ?
  With almost every family tree telling a different story, it's quite difficult to pinpoint anything accurately, can't say when they died without some idea of when they were born. 
  Any ideas please ?