Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 29th September  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 29th September
« on: Wednesday 30 September 20 00:05 BST (UK) »
Posting before my eyes fall shut! 

Beautiful sunny day. Was intending to call at the nurseries today and was thinking about the timing of that and my usual walk. As I'd arranged to go for a longer walk with friend J tonight I decided not to do the morning one and go to the nurseries then instead, I wanted to do some gardening this afternoon.

Chose some dwarf wallflowers for the front garden, went into the barn to pay and was looking at bulbs when the assistant walked past. Realised I'd forgotten to put my mask on, apologised to her and hastily put it on. There was no-one else inside. On my way out a man was coming in without a mask, I said in a lighthearted manner "Someone else who forgot to put a mask on! " He mumbled something but didn't put one on or go back out. 

Drove home, nearly flattened a seagull that was coming in to land in the middle of the main road. Coming along my street saw NN was out cutting the lawn, as soon as she saw me she started fiddling around with the shrubs at the edge of my drive. Left my purchases in the boot, how disappointing for her. The constant spying on me is getting on my nerves again.

After lunch I took the plants out of the boot, NN had gone. Planted them then went into the back garden, the sun was actually quite hot. Dug out some crocosmia, another plant that takes over the garden. Moved some irises, they're getting crowded, pruned a hardy fuchsia then cut the lawn. Only another month before garden waste collections end.

Came in before I overdid things, had a cuppa and a rest before going to meet J. Really enjoyed our walk and catching up. Spag bol for tea with a glass of wine, had a refill later. Watched a programme about Harold Shipman, made my blood run cold. Bath and bed.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 29th September
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 01:19 BST (UK) »
Sounds like another busy day Roobarb... glad you had a pleasant walk and catch up with your friend...NN must have been itching to see what you’d got in your car! Lovely you had nice warm sunshine too...

It rained during the night... as Id heard as  didn’t get to sleep until quite late ...not sure why but irritating as I was quite tired...
Awoke to a dull damp grey day  ... and the noise of next door putting there bins away....
I’d put some washing on overnight but had to hang it in the  airing cupboard, which I hate doing...
Next door(noisy bin side) have taken out all their half dead conifers... only half dead because they kept chopping them and Killed them... they’re up their boundary to side of the Lane, which belongs to our friends/ neighbours behind us... they’ve been cutting them down most of last week leaving not only their own garden exposed but ours too.... not told friends who have plants all way up the lane... now half are crushed... two chaps arrive this morning with trailer full of fencing promptly back up the lane.... after about 10 mins they drive back down.... can’t just park there as three houses up there and nobody could get out!
Get ready to go up the lane for usual Tuesday morning coffee.... now they’re parked in next doors drive thankfully!
Just three of us this morning... chat about fence chaps, friends husband ( owner of the lane) went to tell them they couldn’t park there and to be careful of plants! We sat inside today as miserable outside... it was 1.30 by the time we left... got carried away talking.... walking down the lane I noticed there were not only tools lying all over plants but fencing too.... oh dear my friend will not be happy!
Late lunch....
OH busy with new jigsaw as not able to get outside today...
Went to do some sewing and got last three tops finished so all 10 done now and did first bits on face coverings.... already had message from S to find out how I’m getting on! More pictures of staff at Papworth wearing them posted on FB...
Can’t believe they got the whole fence up in one day.... doesn’t look to sturdy... posts not concreted in so like everything they do on the cheap.....
We had chicken curry, rice, I made aloo gobi... (cauliflower, pots in spiced liquid) Indian snacks... took rest of chicken off the carcass and then made two tubs of stock  from it... like to keep in the freezer for soup base...
Carried on with knitting baby blanket and watched tv...
Sons birthday card finally arrived from Oz today, lovely picture on the front hand painted... he had the sense to put O.H’s card in with it too... hope he gets mine soon considering his birthday was on 13th September!
That’s it for today....
Look forward to reading others diary...
Wonder what Scientists will have to say tomorrow.... and maybe Boris too... if he can remember what’s going on!
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 01:58 BST (UK) »
Woke up to a gale blowing. It was cold and miserable. Had coffee and caught up with all my messages that needed answering. Wow, 10.30 already.  Off into town to get my ears cleaned at the ear clinic. They suggested I have a hearing test done. I got enough problems for now so noted it on the calendar for next month. Lunchtime already, where is today going. Had a couple of Ham sandwiches for lunch.

Rang eldest son and wished him a Happy Birthday. He is further down south and had his fire going as it was freezing down there.
Was having my dinner when my phone rang. Saw it was P so answered straight away.
To use his words " Chemo ain't gonna cut the Mustard Mum " It took me a few seconds to reply.
So the short story is he now needs a Bone marrow transplant. His 2 full siblings and his half-sibling are now on standby for testing. P just said it is what it is.
Watched T.V. till about 2 am as I just could not sleep.
Tomorrow is a new day so we will see what that brings.
Thinking of all who are still dealing with COVID restrictions.
Stay safe stay strong
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 06:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear the news about your son Carol. How horrible for you all.  :(

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 07:51 BST (UK) »
Carol - I’m so very sorry to hear your Sons chemo isn’t going well... hope that one of his siblings is a match for the bone marrow For him.... thinking about you all ...
thank you for thinking of others too when you’re all having a rough time...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 07:59 BST (UK) »
Met a friend for coffee at an outside cafe yesterday, but the forecast is for 10 days rain from today.

Caroline, the card I posted on 24th August to my son in Oz arrived yesterday, 11 days late!  I plan to start using an internal mailing system from now on, though with a trial run even that took 10 days to arrive.

Carol, your heart must be breaking. :'( Praying a marrow match is available.  :-*

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 08:08 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse - I know the post to and from Oz is terrible... thinking about sending Christmas cards out very early to make sure it gets there in time! My son says they only get house deliveries every other day... he uses PO Box number for his business perhaps I should try that!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 11:38 BST (UK) »
Post generally takes 6 days from Oz, but currently around 5 or 6 weeks from UK.  :(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
Horrific!.... but of course not so many flights going in and out as previously...my sons comment... don’t worry it will get here eventually! I’m sure that’s true...I hope so as the cards I make for the family especially take time to dream up and make... at least I take a picture so if all else fails I’ll send him a picture of what he should have had!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK