Author Topic: Cannot find a date of death  (Read 799 times)

Offline HannahB92

• RootsChat Extra
  • https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Cannot find a date of death
« on: Wednesday 30 September 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
I am recently new to family history and spent 9 months doing my family tree when a family friend asked if i could do theirs for them. I have suddenly now come across a road block early on in my research for him.

I am trying to find the date of death for a Patrick Colgan born/baptised 18th December 1862 in Ireland. He married Margaret Connolly in Birkenhead in July 1889. He was listed in the 1901 census in Birkenhead in Cheshire England but not on the 1911 census. His wife Margaret Colgan (nee Connolly) is listed on the 1911 census as widowed. I have searched for any Colgan's dying between 1901-1911 and have come up with nothing! Is it possible that he didn't die between those years? I even searched for Colgan's dying in Ireland but came up with nothing. And there are thousands of families with the name Colgan!

Can anyone help me at all or at least point me in the right direction? Help would be much appreciated. I have spent weeks on this and have no idea what i should do now.
Brick, Walmsley, Roscoe, Colgan, Fraser, Frizzell

My website: https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find a date of death
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Hannah  :D

So frustrating isn't it when you can't find someone.

I have found a death that fits dates wise which is the below one:-

COLGAN, PATRICK       65 
GRO Reference: 1927  S Quarter in STOKE AND WOLSTANTON  Volume 06B  Page 110

This is from the GRO website and can be ordered as a pdf for £7.00

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

If you are new to the site then you will need to register.  When you have done that click on the Search the GRO Online Index section in the white box on the right.  Choose Deaths, enter the year, name and indicate Male.  You should come up with the above that I have posted.  Click on the little circle to the left of the name and you should get three order options.  Pick the pdf one.

It may be worth getting this if only to eliminate him from your enquiries.  I did find some extra information about this record and that was a burial record.  Sub district is Hanley, buried in Newcastle Cemetery, Sept. quarter 1927, Entry No. 22335, Page 59, Grave Ref. 39, Block 31.  Link to where I found it:-  http://www.bmsgh.org/burialsearch/cgi/burialind.cgi

I see that he was a coal heaver in the 1901 census.  He may have died has a result of an accident where he worked.

Up to you as to whether you wish to follow this up.  :)

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
The Patrick Colgan who died in 1927 is probably living with sister Mary Flynn in 1911 in Newcastle [same address as burial entry] & born Newcastle under Lyme single Pit Bank worker. Mother Ann & brother John also there.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW7S-SMZ

ADDED; The burial record states he died in 'Dr Keane's surgery, King Street'.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Josey.  I was a little dubious but I gave the information as a possible.  Looks like it's back to the drawing board then. 

Hannah's Patrick seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth!  So frustrating for her.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
But cannot find the Newcastle under Lyme Patrick earlier  ??? Could have left wife & be put down as single.

Who are Patrick's parents from baptism, Hannah? N u L Patrick had mother Ann born Mayo ca 1847, siblings Mary b ca 1861 & John b ca 1868 [though hardly unusual names  >:(].
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
There's a death in Kilkeel, Down that is an approx match. Occupation is the same as 1901. Informant was his sister in law:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1902/05689/4603703.pdf

Gadget

Add - July 11 1902
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
That looks good Gadget, especially in view of the occupation.  As you say exactly the same as the 1901 census.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
As he was a coal heaver, he could well have had the accidental fall on a coal barge/ship between Birkenhead and Ireland and was looked after by his brother's family.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline HannahB92

• RootsChat Extra
  • https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
Patrick's parents where James Colgan and Elizabeth Quinn.

Gadget may possibly have found the death! I am surprised that he is now back in Ireland again! And i for the life of me could not find the death in Ireland either. He had a brother called John who married Susan so the record that states the informant was his sister in law Susan totally fits! Cause of death says accidental fall but i don't know what the rest of it says. I will try and see if i can order this death certificate for my records but i think this has to be him!

Thank you so much to everyone for your input! Could not have done this without you! If i find any more road blocks i may have to call on you all again haha!
Brick, Walmsley, Roscoe, Colgan, Fraser, Frizzell

My website: https://literaturetravelhistory.wordpress.com/