Author Topic: Griffiths Clan  (Read 375 times)

Offline RubberMan01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Griffiths Clan
« on: Wednesday 30 September 20 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm all new to this family tree business, but I got interested in it real fast. I found a marriage certificate a few weeks ago from one of my family members date 1879. I had never heard of the people on the certificate but they had the same surname as myself. Since then, I've dug up 140 relatives.

I'm now stuck! I traced one side of the family (Stanley - Dukinfield) to 1721, and the other side (Griffiths - Manchester) to 1806

I'm mostly interested in the Griffiths side of things, I have names and birth dates but can't find anything else about them after that. John & Mary Ann Griffiths, both 1806

I've found areas in which the rest of the family have lived; Newton Heath, Failsworth, Cheetwood (Salford I think?), one of their children is Humphrey Griffiths (married to a Martha Lightfoot), I can't see them only having one child but again...I can't find any info.

If anyone out there is researching/ research this family then I would love to hear from you :)

Thank you

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths Clan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi     

Welcome to Rootschat.     

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

3x obv starting possibilities to check out . . . . .
Letting you check so you do not lose enthusiasm      ;D     

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline RubberMan01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi mate, all well and good Ray, but I have no idea what you're talking about lol

New <--

What is the 8d 302?

All I know are the names I'm searching for, sometimes birth years (no idea how to find deaths)

I've been using familysearch and just started with a marriage cert :)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 20 09:50 BST (UK) »
Am I understanding this correctly

You have traced your Griffiths family back to Humphrey Griffiths who married Martha Lightfoot at Manchester Cathedral on 1 July 1857. The image for this marriage is available on Ancestry. It shows Humphrey as 21 and Martha as 20. Humphrey’s father is a John Griffiths a brickmaker. No father listed for Martha so probably illegitimate.

I’m assuming you have sight of births/baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials of your Griffiths’ family to get back to Humphrey. With a name like Griffiths it’s easy to get led the wrong way. I have Jones in my tree and know that happens!

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
1841 census Ardwick
John Griffiths 35 brickmaker
Mary Griffiths 35
Elizabeth 14
Matilda 12
All these stated to be not born in the county ( Lancashire)
Humphrey 5 born in the county

Humphrey’s christening with image is on Ancestry it’s in 1832 so maybe Humphrey is 8 on the 1841 census.

Offline RubberMan01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I actually have their original wedding certificate so, I know that what the records say on here are wrong lol, that doesn't fill me with confidence  ;D

There are a million John's and I deduced his year of birth from the census records.

Basically I have this, John and Mary Ann (1806) -> Humphrey (1836) -> John (1858) etc

Humphrey appears in the 1841 census aged 5 with Mary Ann and John as his parents and then later in another census with a few siblings (the ages all add up)

Then of course I hit a brick wall at the first John :(

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth married John Wall in 1852, Matilda married Joseph Bowers in 1848. I have tried to find them on later censuses to see their birthplace as they are not born in the county in 1841 but have no success.

Please could you post the 1841 and 1851 census information you have. The 1841 census I posted was the only Humphrey I could find with a John who is a brickmaker.

Is the marriage I posted the wrong one? If yes please post the information on the marriage certificate you have.

Offline RubberMan01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 October 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
1841 Census;

Griffiths, John 35, Mary 35, Elizabeth 14, Matilda 12, Humphrey 5

It doesn't mention John's profession, but the guy before him in the book it says "Brickmaker", I also believe that Mary is actually Mary Ann.