Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 30th September  (Read 585 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 30th September
« on: Wednesday 30 September 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Ever have one of those days when you just want to SCREAM?  This was one of those.

Grey day and much cooler than yesterday, some rain forecast later so got myself out for a walk. It was windy and a few spots of rain but enjoyed the fresh air.

Came home and installed the new black printer cartridge that arrived yesterday. Printed out the colour photo that I'll be using for reference for the next art class project, it printed in greyscale. Tried everything I could think of to print in colour, eventually managed to print from my tablet after a lot of app installation and messing about. Still won't print from laptop.

During all this my landline phone kept ringing, same spam caller despite my leaving it to go to answerphone. This continued through the afternoon into early evening, a total of eight calls. I really felt like picking up the phone and yelling at them to eff off. Of course I'm far too much of a lady to do that.

Tesco delivery due between 5 and 6pm, didn't receive any notification of a more precise time as I usually do if it doesn't come at five. When it arrived it wasn't bagged, they don't provide them any more but I know I requested bags, you have to select an option. The driver seemed to think I was making it up, maybe because he had to to wait while I took all items out of the crates and had to find room to put them in my very small hallway. The only substitute was for the bread I'd ordered. I'd decided to have a change from my usual seeded or granary bread so ordered a wholemeal loaf. So what did they send me as a substitute? Not another brand of wholemeal loaf but a white loaf!   >:(  What do they use for brains? I never buy white bread, had to accept it as I had none left.

This evening I found a big puddle under the kettle - it's leaking!  Have just ordered a new one from Amazon that will arrive by Friday. Knowing my luck you can bet your life it'll arrive during my Zoom art class.

* Added  - just had the ninth call from the same number  >:( >:(
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 30th September
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
My Tesco  order came , supposed to be without bags ,but the crates were
lined each with a big bag so could just be lifted out.
Only four instead of ever so many.
I found corn bread,delicious,will get it again ,and Tesco’s multiseeded.
Started to jot down again what I want ,must book a slot .

Son not coming tomorrow, I have what I need except the TV mag ,but he will
have to come twice in two days next week ,long overdue eye check at Rochdale and flu jab at Drs.
So won’t bother him this week.

I am tempted to cut my own hair , it has grown long but what was in the nape of my neck is now the longest and is the original almost black of my youth.
The rest is mingled  dark and  silver.
Washed it the other day with Swartzkopf for mature hair, gosh it is so silky but no body to it  it all, Back to Elseve for mature hair.
If it was any more mature it would be ancient.
Well a tidy round before bed.
Sleep well everyone and look after yourselves, those with worries  and  fears
I have wished you a peaceful night elsewhere but that is no reason not to say it again.
A peaceful night and easing of your worries.
Viktoria.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hope everyone is doing well.

Difficult times here at Stanwix Towers. On top of everything else, our son developed a cough and cold over the weekend. Called 111 and was told by the GP there to self isolate and take him for a COVID test.

Have to say, 111 line was very good, got a call back the same evening even though it was a Sunday and late in the night.

We are dog owners so that meant scrambling for temporary dog walkers, which luckily we were able to get.

Managed to get a test booked for the next day, luckily.

Testing him was a horrible experience. He's pretty brave but it was so painful he cried and I had to do it myself, there are no nurses to help you if you are struggling.

We got the test results back the next day, negative thank goodness so no more self isolation. He is still off school however.

I feel quite bad about sending him back in. He is still coughing and might be passing his cold on to others - which means other families having to go through the stress we've been through.

Tricky times for all.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 20 00:33 BST (UK) »
My what a busy night tonight!

Roobarb- there’s nothing so irritating than constant nuisance calls... Just leave the phone off the hook or blow a whistle down the ear piece! We went ex directory because we got fed up with It!
As you say why couldn’t they sub with a different variety of bread. ... but white !! Printers can be a law unto themselves! Sounds like a frustrating day all round!

Viktoria - nice for you to see your son twice next week even if the excursions are not quite so exciting! Cutting your own hair sounds quite a drastic step....

Stanwix- sorry to hear you’ve had stressful time with your son and testing... good to know he’s had a negative one... it’s not easy trying to do it yourself on children... my daughter had same trouble with youngest... very stressful she said.. his too was negative!

My diary

Well the forecast was for rain all day but got up to blue sky and sunshine...
After breakfast gave OH another hair cut... he grumbled a lot said he could go back to the barbers if my efforts weren’t good enough but he said no it was fine! Skinflint.... didn’t offer me any remuneration...
Got vacuum out and went over the whole house by the time I’d finished it was raining... sat with a coffee in the conservatory and read ... finished my book... different from normal ones but it has been a good read... An American Marriage by Tayari Jones.. it won Women's prize for fiction 2019... chosen for our book club.. I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say next week..
After lunch we had a game of scrabble... I was doing well then got awful letters... mostly valued 1... hard to get good scores with that... so another loss 😢 two down now...
Neighbour called with bits of shopping from her Asda delivery ... they’d got one of my favourite wines with 25% off so good price.... still raining...
Made a chicken, ham, leek, mushroom and tarragon pie... used up bit of blue cheese, yogurt and chicken stock... added in some broad beans too... carrots and purple broccoli to go with it... very tasty... my good food magazine funnily enough had recipe and tips for chicken pies! Use boned thighs, leeks chicken stock add spoonful of mustard For flavour and bake in loose bottom cake tin so can be removed easily.... I usually only put pastry on the top so just stuck to my normal pie dish...
Watched Boris and two scientists .... didn’t really say much we don’t know already.... wish Boris would be a bit tougher with telling people to behave properly so rest of us not put at so much risk.... wonder now if these are going to become more regular ....
Watched Netflix... series called Dedicated Survivor with Keifer Sutherland... bit like the series 24 he did... even he might make a better president US have currently got or going to have!
Off to bed and a read... but what got 4 books on e-reader and one hard back... decisions, decisions....
That’s all for today, not very exciting day I’m afraid... still raining when I closed the bedroom blind ....

Looking forward to reading others...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 20 01:41 BST (UK) »
I did post my Thanks to everyone for their support at the bottom of yesterdays Posts, but again your words are greatly appreciated.
Roobarb I hope you turned your printer on as that was my problem when trying to scan photos. Of course, you did, you're  much smarter than me.
I had a COVID test on July 1st. The nurse did it and not a problem. I couldn't work out what all the fuss was about, but I am still the only not complaining. Interested to hear you do your own test's, it that right. All our's are done at testing station's or at the doctors and  9 times out of 10 it is done by a nurse.
I had the day off today. Phone turned off and logged out of Fb.
My late husband was adopted, so since he spoke with his birth mum in 1994 (she passed away a week later) I have been researching his birth family. This was my project for today.
Well, I have found a cousin who has a tree on Ancestry. So just need to get up the nerve to make contact.
Felt pleased with my 5 hours of searching. Added it all to my tree on my computer. Told my kids what I had found and for the first time, they listened and were pleased for me.
Made an appointment at my doctors for a general checkup.
A nice relaxing day.
Dinner and then watched T.V. Found an old series of Mid Summer Murders that I hadn't seen so watched some of that and retired to bed at midnight. A lot earlier than I have been lately.
Stay safe stay strong
P.s. Hope everything goes well for Jeff and his family tomorrow.
Carol

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, hope you've remembered to book your next Tesco slot, I think there will be more demand at the moment due to local lockdowns.

Stanwix, hope your son has bounced back after his Covid test, have heard it's not very pleasant and must be more so for children.

Caroline, more inspiring dishes, I regularly drool over your descriptions of them but unfortunately don't get round to making them myself! A lot of recipes are not easy to reduce to one person portions and unfortunately not all freezable. Well that's my excuse anyway!

Carol, good to hear you had a relaxing day and how thrilling to find that cousin. I hope you've managed to make contact. I join you in your good wishes for Jeff.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb, I will do it late tonight,seems the odd slot is available then,got my list started.
Had a good busy day doing  small things ,sorting bathroom stuff out etc.

Yes some lovely meals and lots if veges, very healthy.

Glad all was well after the coughing scare.

Well washed my hair,in rollers now ,dreading the result.
Not at all sure if my son can take me for my Flu jab or my Eye appointment .
I can’t ask him if any doubt and he may not be allowed to .
It is all so confusing, must watch  the news tonight.
Must just check on my tea, so cheerio for now.
Back soon.
Viktoria.

Back sooner than I thought, daughter just phoned ,felt she ought to let her GP know she was going to get  Vitamin  B12 from a  Private zDr,
He called her in  and  took some blood samples ,phoned her today, guess what ? She urgently needs an injection of B12!
But he can’t do it until Oct 12 th I think she said.
She is worried the continual pins and needles are permanent nerve damage .
It is shocking she has  had to wait so long.
I think sh has changed her Dr, was going to.

Cheerio again.V.

for self administration