Author Topic: Name query and map  (Read 899 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Name query and map
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 October 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
There are certainly parts of Co. Tyrone, between Cookstown and Omagh, where the name of the townland as well as the name of the road appear on the road signs. Up until at least a few years ago parts of rural Fermanagh used townland names not road names.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 October 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for the explanations - it was calling them townlands that always puzzled me.

I have now looked them up to see what wikipedia says.  In mitigation, I have just about never had to use Irish sites, until very recently.

Keeps one on one's toes, anyway.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 October 20 09:30 BST (UK) »
Chempat,

Have a look at this for a general explanation of Irish land divisions.
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-land-divisions.html

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 October 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I found that site when I wanted to know about the 1939 register, but had not investigated further.  Well, it is raining today so I have time to read.

I think my jaw dropped when I found you (they) searched by address for 1939, and then I gave a shrug of shoulders, and a muttered comment.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 October 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
Regarding the NI 1939 Register, according to an Assistant Director at PRONI in a conversation I had with him, it’s format is different to that in England & Wales. There, family information is on the left hand page and medical information on the right. It has therefore been easy to scan the left hand side and ignore that on the right (medical data is all still closed).  In Northern Ireland, the medical information is on the same page and mixed in with the personal information and cannot easily be excluded from an on-line version (other than by going through the whole register line by line, a task too time consuming and expensive). Consequently they cannot put it on-line. It has also made any automated scanning and indexing of the names almost impossible.  Outside of major towns it’s compiled by townland, same as many other Irish records, and so the only way of searching it is by townland. And you have to ask PRONI to do that for you. If PRONI find the relevant record, they will redact anything medical and anything relating to someone under 100 or who cannot be shown to be dead.

But the information is provided free because PRONI are committed to making their records available free.
Elwyn